Traktor looping question.

Default Traktor looping question.

Not sure if I'm posting in the right area or not, but basically I have a question about looping in Traktor Pro 2 since I'm still kind of a beginner when it comes to the program.

Is it possible to change the loop length without using the built in increments? I currently own a Kontrol X1, and would like to change the loop length without following the 32,16,8,4,etc. to something a bit more smoother sounding than a jerky jump when I decide to change the length.

The whole point of the present loop bars is so that it sounds smooth. Are you looping at the beginning/end of bars and phrases? What kind of music do you play?

Tech Wizard

Unfortunately, No. Traktor 'thinks' in those terms. However, you should be able to manually set loop markers (in and out) for a freeform loop (which is suggested to be done ahead of time).

If your loops are sounding jerky, you're starting in the wrong place (or you're not fully catching a loop). If you're looping a beat, try starting on silence (or a downbeat) somewhere, when looping lyrics, start at the ramp-up to the first word you want to loop (if you can).

*I come from the Goth scene too*

I always start on the one when I loop, or just go with gut instinct which works great for me so far, but I guess I should clarify further.

I'm trying to basically shorten the loop so it gets faster and faster. Like starting at 4, going to 2, then 1, .5, etc.. But when doing that it sounds very sudden. I would like for it to sound smoother.

As for the music I play, I play mostly trance, japanese hardcore and other general hardstyles.

Tech Wizard

Oh yes then, you can do that, but it works the same way. What you're doing is commonly referred to as Loop Roll and you can assign the loop length to buttons or keyboard commands. I recommend this video from DJ Shiftee (he calls it Plooping):

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I was trying to go for. Now I just need to figure out how to set it onto the loop knob on the X1