Rane empath (rotary) - thoughts!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rane empath (rotary) - thoughts!

RGAS is rearing its head again.

I've got back into vinyl mixing and having used rotary mixers in the past quite fancy getting one in. They suit my style - nu disco, house, long blends...

I'm not quite sure I want to get a bozak or urei as getting the separate eq rack will make it mega pricey.

The main thing I want to know is how is the empath for sound quality? Eqs? Older analogue rane mixers haves very good rep, the few I played on all felt decent and solid.

My local store doesn't have an empath on display anymore... Im gonna try and test one first but that maybe tricky.

So yeah thoughts pls?

And no no no to any Allen and Grief suggestions.

Other rotary mixer suggestions I'm up for.

Thanks
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Wizard

E&S

Quote Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
    E&S
    Sure. Very classy but lacks a lot of features (obviously the point) that I'd secretly miss.

Anyone know how much E&S mixers actually are to buy? No info on website...

But really want to hear how the empath is?
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

I think I've read something along the lines of 1,800€ for the DJR-400.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Guru

When I bought my 56 I was flirting with grabbing the rotary empath. I have not used the new rotary mixers, but having used the old Rane rotary kits in club installs, it stands to reason I would have been happy with it.

If the EQ can be judged by the 56 and similar time frame mixers, than you can trust Rane didn't skimp.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Sure. Very classy but lacks a lot of features (obviously the point) that I'd secretly miss.

Anyone know how much E&S mixers actually are to buy? No info on website...

But really want to hear how the empath is?
    Off memory, the DJR400 in 2008 was around 1600 Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by djlotus View Post
    When I bought my 56 I was flirting with grabbing the rotary empath. I have not used the new rotary mixers, but having used the old Rane rotary kits in club installs, it stands to reason I would have been happy with it.

If the EQ can be judged by the 56 and similar time frame mixers, than you can trust Rane didn't skimp.
    Truthfully I think Ranes quality has fallen off. I think the buttons and feel of the 68 is rubbish.

The 57sl is obviously seminal.

But around 2003 (empath time) they were at their peak so i think it'll be sweet.

Just want someone to big it up for me

I think I remember seeing something about the E&S being around 3 grand USD…but I think that one had some custom work.

The rotary Empath is on my short list of mixers I'd love to have. I never want more than it can handle, and it's pretty awesome. EQs are Rane's normal progressive slope full cut things, so the slope accelerates as you get towards the bottom……which I liked back when I was using EQs.

If I had the money, I think the only thing that would stop me would be being able to buy a 2016a–which would mostly be an aesthetic thing–and finally have a mixer that didn't waste room with a crossfader. But I'd have to get an external VU meter. Darn. More pretty to buy. (no, i wouldn't get the xp unit)

Tech Mentor

I played with one a few years ago, because a buddy of mine got it. And compared to my MP2016, it feels just as nice except you have the EQs and you can place it on table without a rack. I was tempted to sell my MP2016 to get a rotary Empath, but I wished it was 4 channels instead of 3. Other than that I say its a solid product.
    MBP i5 13", NI Z2, 2x NI X1, 2x NI F1s, NI Audio 8, A&H K2, Rane 2016, 2x 1210MK2e, 2x CDJ-400s, RMX-1000, NI S8, MBA 11"

Quote Originally Posted by deejaysoul View Post
    I played with one a few years ago, because a buddy of mine got it. And compared to my MP2016, it feels just as nice except you have the EQs and you can place it on table without a rack. I was tempted to sell my MP2016 to get a rotary Empath, but I wished it was 4 channels instead of 3. Other than that I say its a solid product.
    Yeah there's a lot going for it eh.

There is an aux channel as well so it's kinda 4 channel. To be honest I never play more than two tunes together.

Might trigger a sample or two...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast