Idea for EQ mixing
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Idea for EQ mixing

I did some searching as my friend DvlsAdvct said to do, but alas I didnt find what I was looking for so here goes.

When I do mixing, I like to progressively introduce elements from one track while progressively getting rid of elements from the previous one.

Anyway, my question is this. I would like to set up my controller to do the following.

use a fader control to function just like a crossfader would but only for an EQ (lows for example) The kicker is this, can I make it so that when the fader is all the way in one direction it kills the freq for the other deck? Im going to be trying to figure this out for myself, however I tend to think aloud. If anyone can help that would be great. This would free up a ton of rotarys which I can then in return use for FXs, yay!
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Gotta read the FAQ, buddy the Controller Mapping forum is for discussion of completed mappings.

Regardless, on to your question

To do this, I believe, you're going to need to implement Bome MIDI Translator into your set up. You'll need to have high and low parameters for the EQ, so it never gets above a certain point. Maybe set it so there is a sort of crossfade, so the highest point might be 60% or 65%, but the low will be 0%, and when it hits 65% on Deck A it's 0% on Deck B. The issue is this will restrict you to a specific style of mixing, but if that works for you then that's all that matters.

I know in Traktor that 0% on a frequency is a kill, I'm pretty sure. So if the Bass reaches 0% then a kill effect would be useless.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Its a good idea, to implement but honestly I tryed something similar with eqs and it did not always sound good. You know sometimes you just need to kill a little bass from the other track and corrections are not always the same. I would recommend doing smart knobs for effects but not use them for equing always, as the same trick does not work for all tunes. Altough you can find mutiple use to smartknobs so it its totally worh trying, learning and then decide by yourself.

Good luck!

Tech Mentor

On Traktor Pro, putting the EQ all the way to zero doesnt perform a kill for me, I can still here faint sounds from that freq, only by using the kill button does it actually not play at all. Not sure if thats because I use the RMX controller and you use the VCI though.

Downloaded BOMES, have to see what I can come up with to make this idea work. Not worried about being limited to one style of mixing, since the RMX controller has 3 faders right next to each other so I could use all 3 at once to perform a traditional xfader style mix with ease. (which frees up the xfader for other possibilities!)

IMHO it depends on which style of EQ you are using. Retry another EQ-Setting, otherwise you could always try setting up Traktor to enable the kill-button when you're on either side of the fader.
    I mix stuff on my things...

Smartmixing is a much superior approach to this bass crossfade idea - shame we cant do it in traktor nativly >_<

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Smartmixing is a much superior approach to this bass crossfade idea - shame we cant do it in traktor nativly >_<
    excuse my ignorance... but what do you exactly mean with "smartmixing"?

Tech Guru

Look at the link in his sig ..

Tech Mentor

Ok to clarify, Im not only bass mixing, I independently mix all 3 EQ's. I think of it as an advanced crossfader. Didnt quite understand the smartmixing thing, have to look more into it.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Smart mixing is essentially combining Ableton Live! and Traktor, using the best features of Ableton and the best features of Traktor together for the ULTIMATE DJ setup That's a really simplistic, quick way to explain it, but yeah, read his sig.

Second, it doesn't matter that I'm using the VCI and you're using the Hercules cause they are both using MIDI. It could be the EQ choice you have selected, it could also be my ears. So try the different EQ settings and see what you come up with.

If you have your Bass tied to your crossfader then every time you move your crossfader it's going to move your Bass. You can set presets in bomes or Modifiers in Traktor to change that, though. You can also activate Kills on the 0 marker of your Bass knob in both. I think, in Traktor, you just select Bass Kill and as the incoming message you use the knob. You set it to button, hold and you might have to invert it, but I'm not sure. Once again, at work, not in front of Traktor, can't be sure

But that should work, I think. Doing it in Bomes is kinda similar, but there are things called rules and variables you gotta throw in the mix.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast