WD Black or Momentus XT ... hmmmmmm - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Is result of flood wd was destroyed and estimate prices won't be back to normal for a year or two.
    Ram on other hand I have no info on just know there's a hard drive shortage. Ssd have dropped lots in debating on a 120gbssd and the momentous xt in one of my laptops with dual drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Take a look a hard drives prices guys. The prices across the board have gone up dramatically, so has RAM.
    Floods in china and Thailand ??? I dunno thats just hearsay but from my looking around this week the average HD has gone by £20 - £30.

The Seagate i just bought was £30 cheaper 4 months ago.
    There have been serious cries to China this week to let up the stranglehold on precious Earths used for producing tech components.

Another +1 for the Momentus XT. Serious speed for the money.

Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I've just sent back my second Momentus XT under warranty. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome when they work, but I've so far found them to be a little too unreliable for my liking. That and the fact my battery life plummets when I have them installed. But I may just be one of the unlucky ones! Saving up for a real SSD next!
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

That bites, What was wrong with them?
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by geminimech View Post
    That bites, What was wrong with them?
    Both S.M.A.R.T. fails. But in Seagate's defence, they have a massive warranty on them and all I've needed to do is swap them into my wife's Windows laptop, run Seatools and it give's you an error code which you submit to their site to get a return sorted out.

That and the fact I regularly travel to some proper rubbish sandy places all over the world with my Mac can't have really done them any good!
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lineypirate View Post
    Both S.M.A.R.T. fails. But in Seagate's defence, they have a massive warranty on them and all I've needed to do is swap them into my wife's Windows laptop, run Seatools and it give's you an error code which you submit to their site to get a return sorted out.

That and the fact I regularly travel to some proper rubbish sandy places all over the world with my Mac can't have really done them any good!
    Warranty should only be a safeguard "if" something fails not for "when" something fails.

Doesn't sound like a good option if reliability is one of your primary concerns, in my case getting a replacement sorted out could mean waiting a LONG time due to location (and even possible import duties on return !) ...

I think I'll be going for the WD black for reliability and bang for buck I can get 2x320's for the same price as a 500XT

http://www.storagereview.com/western...iew_wd5000bekt

Doesn't seem to be much in it with the exception of application start up and boot times.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Just an Update -

I managed to pick up a 320gig WD Scorpio black for around $55, the reliability issues with the XT told my inner voice to stay away.

So far so good, doesn't "scream" but about a 20% increase in speed overall. Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineypirate View Post
    Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I've just sent back my second Momentus XT under warranty. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome when they work, but I've so far found them to be a little too unreliable for my liking. That and the fact my battery life plummets when I have them installed. But I may just be one of the unlucky ones! Saving up for a real SSD next!
    Ditto. I have a SSD that I swapped with my optical drive for Lion and programs. I have a Seagate Momentus for only music and I just sent it back after THREE MONTHS.
    TSP2 | Kontrol S4 | Pioneer DJM-800 | 2 Kontrol X1s | Kontrol F1 | Maschine | 2 Technics 1210 MK5s
    Other Cool Stuff: Serato | Dicers | Ableton Live | Launchpad | Ortofon S-120s | Ortofron Nightclubs / Headshell Mounted
    My Control Vinyl Collection: Picasa Album | Facebook Album 1 | Facebook Album 2

I would just be curious to see why some of these are going back? Someone mentioned SMART failure, but that can encompass a whole lot of things. I have an external that failed SMART, but it has bad sectors from platters that were chunked, and that falls on the user more often that not.
    Cheers!

Tech Wizard

I am/was interested in the XT. They did some upgrades with the new ones (8GB flash and firmware update) and it seems the reviews are good. Are these problems happening on the 750GB ones as well.
    Vestax VCI-400, Midi Fighter, SRH-750DJ's, Traktor Pro 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast