WD Black or Momentus XT ... hmmmmmm
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Default WD Black or Momentus XT ... hmmmmmm

Title says it all really, my old disk (WD blue) decided to crap out on me when I left it defrag overnight, may be salvageable as a backup but certainly don't feel comfortable using it as my primary anymore, got a good 4 years out of it anyhow and its been seriously knocked around

So I'm in the market for a (non-ssd) primary 7200 RPM laptop drive.

Edging between the WD black or XT 500gb, any others I should look at ?

Momentus xt hands down. I have the 750 gig and it's hybrid ssd technology destroys any conventional hard drive.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I am installing a 750GB 7200 16mb Seagate Momentus (not XT) right now, in fact whilst typing this is just restarted and is finishing up installing Lion.

My other gig MBP has the same drive and it works perfectly. Plenty fast enough for my Traktor usage.

Tech Wizard

i have the 500gbxt - the 750xt is even faster and I'm looking to upgrading soon to it. I seriously recommend the segate momentus 750xt
    Traktor Z2, Denon SC3900(2), Kontrol F1, MidiFighter3D, HDJ-2000, Mixed in Key, Platinum Notes, Jack and Coke. (Previously- Rane 68, Traktor DJM-t1, Pioneer DJM-800, CDJ-2000s (2), Traktor S4, Stanton 150s)

I am in the businees of tech for a while and ı can say WD . But why dont you go with Seagate ?
    Macbook Pro-Mixmeister Fusion-Traktor Pro 2-Audio 2

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Serkan Yerdan View Post
    I am in the businees of tech for a while and ı can say WD . But why dont you go with Seagate ?
    So am I, just wanted some fresh eyes .. seems to be mixed views on the XT in relation to reliability, especially on OSX and performance wise the WD Black seems about fast going by benchmarks.

@ karlos - totally forgot the regular moments came in 7200 flavor as well may just have a lookie.

Tech Mentor

I have a 750 WD Caviar Black in mine. Plenty fast enough for my needs - I'd expect it to come down to price point. Are the hybrid SSD drives from Seagate not way more expensive than the Caviar?
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

The hybrid drives are quite reasonably priced and a good compromise over an SSD, Once I free up some cash I'll be cloning mine standard Apple one onto one, it would have been done sooner but not playing out at the minute so no rush
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Take a look a hard drives prices guys. The prices across the board have gone up dramatically, so has RAM.
    Floods in china and Thailand ??? I dunno thats just hearsay but from my looking around this week the average HD has gone by £20 - £30.

The Seagate i just bought was £30 cheaper 4 months ago.

Tech Guru

Another vote for the Momentus XT 750GB. I got one at Xmas and it's screaming fast for boot and app loading. Best of both worlds!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast