NEW DJ looking for music to start djing with
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NEW DJ looking for music to start djing with

Hey Guys ~ i just recently got my Kontrol s2 and started to dj
    I have mostly just been messing around with tunes from ministry of sound etc

Where can i get great sounding samples/ music to properly start controllerism. For example the music /samples/baseline/drum beat/ acapellas Ean Golden uses in his demo, they are sound amazing on its own (even better with hiscontrollerism ontop of it obviously)

Much much appreciated and thank you in advance

Scar

sample packs, loopmasters.com
    acapellas, acapellas4u.com
    tunes: beatport.com
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

+1 on the accapellas4u

Loopmasters is a good place to look as well
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Wizard

soundcloud
    google search for blogs of the genre you like
    13" Core I7 MBP - Kontrol S4 - Midi Fighter - RP-DJ1200 - BX8a

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by vitadescar View Post
    Hey Guys ~ i just recently got my Kontrol s2 and started to dj
    I have mostly just been messing around with tunes from ministry of sound etc

Where can i get great sounding samples/ music to properly start controllerism. For example the music /samples/baseline/drum beat/ acapellas Ean Golden uses in his demo, they are sound amazing on its own (even better with hiscontrollerism ontop of it obviously)

Much much appreciated and thank you in advance

Scar
    Where do you live? As far as music for doing house parties, it has to be licensed properly. For example, in Canada we have the AVLA. which is an organization that decides what medias and sources music can be legally purchased and played from. iTunes and Beatport recently made the accepted list, but other subscription sources are not legal.

Obviously tons of DJs are using pirated material but groups are cracking down on this hard, there are tons of lawsuits a year, where each illegal SONG in the library can be fined up to 20,000$.

If you're using music to practice with, fine. But if you start doing cheap local bar gigs or house parties make sure your ducks are in a row. They're cracking down, especially in Canada, since they're reworking the legislation to fuck over everyone.

Tech Convert

3Fifths - I'm in Canada and get all my music from ZipDj. AVLA told me that was an acceptable subscription service...

Didn't know about iTunes and Beatport. That must be new!

Tech Convert

Also just read on the AVLA website that if you purchase music on iTunes u still need an AVLA license. What a scam...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JMo View Post
    Also just read on the AVLA website that if you purchase music on iTunes u still need an AVLA license. What a scam...
    Don't worry, they're reworking the legislation to target wedding push-to-play DJs and are about to kill the entire club scene. From what I've heard from a few insiders there will be a CDJ and Digital DJ license that are separate. You cannot rip CDRs to digital media and legally use it (despite owning the CDR). Not can you have any mashups or remixes. This apparently also means no extended mixes with intro beats (just radio edits of top40 hits so good luck mixing). No remixes, etc.

Doesn't at all sound viable but I wouldn't doubt it.

Tech Mentor

Then get AVLA licensed music? It is possible you know, that is how I do things. Currently every tune I download is either free or AVLA licensed.

I don't even need to do that in my country. In NZ if you are a DJ you can play whatever you want, it is the venues responsibility to pay the fees.

Tech Mentor

Don't worry about licensing or anything yet. In the UK I've never heard of anyone thats come to grief for not having a PRS license. Just get some music, throw together some mixes and have some fun.
    iTunes, Amazon, Beatport, Juno, Soundcloud are all places to get music (although beatport and juno in my opinion are overpriced). Find some music blogs to follow. I use http://ghettofunk.co.uk/
    You can subscribe to DJ pools such as DJ city. Basically you pay a fee every month and then you gain access to a load of free music every month (the music depends on the pool, different pools different music). I think you'd probably be ok just finding tracks out of your music collection and maybe buying a few compilation albums of some music if your really stuck.
    Macbook, S4, Novation Launchpad, Korg nanoKontrol, TSP2, Ableton 8.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast