Would like to start getting into production
    Tech Mentor

Default Would like to start getting into production

Hey guys. So I've been DJing for about 8 months now, rocking Traktor Scratch Duo 2 and a DVS setup. I'd like to start getting into producing my own stuff, but I'm really struggling about which to go with. A little background to put my predicament in perspective:

I recorded a full solo album of my guitar work in GarageBand, and mixed/mastered it in Logic, so I know my way around a piano roll. This however was mainly utilizing live recordings rather than programming synths/drums (I did most of that in GB), so I was using more EQs/Compressors rather than synth VSTs. I hate the MIDI setup of Logic, as I can't really seem to get it set up the way I want (specifically, the MIDI notes never snap evenly to the grid like they do in GB. They are either slightly early or slightly late). Do I stick it out with Logic and get more VSTs for making my own stuff, or do you think I should look into something like Maschine or Ableton for producing? I've been looking at Maschine and it seems kind of nifty, but I'm pretty much in the dark here. Anyone with previous Logic production experience who would be willing to provide input would be greatly appreciated.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Reason 4 all the way! If you're looking for a reasonable application with a powerful and great user interface, Reason has it. Reason has loads of Refills (ready made instruments) or you can patch and make your own. The interface and piano roll are easy to learn and navigate. I would say get Reason 4, Maschine and a MPK Mini. Another cool little perk on Reason is that you can virtually set up your own hardware rack including instruments, mixers, EQs and Filters and have it routed any way you wish. I included a picture. Hope this helps, D'Stridium-Dillon.

Been loving ableton a whole lot lately BUT then again it's the first DAW I 've ever worked with (not counting garageband)
    If live performance appeals to you in any way get ableton. If not download a lot of trials and see for yourself what you like.

I would maybe test out other DAWs through a trial and I guess if one really speaks to you then maybe I would consider switching. However, since you seem to already own Logic I would seriously consider sticking it out because at the end of the day it's really not the DAW that makes you a better producer, it's the time you put into your music and I think Logic is on the same level in terms of capabilities as Ableton and maybe even more so than Maschine (I didn't think Maschine was an all in one DAW package but I could be wrong).

As for your issue with Logic, are you saying that after you quantize your Midi notes still don't snap evenly?

Also I'm surprised that you seemed to like GB but no Logic since I think they are pretty much the same interface/program Logic just has MUCH more capabilities.
    Last edited by Snailboto; 03-15-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Tech Wizard

I'm an Ableton person just because I find it's the easiest DAW to work with, but most will do. A few quick notes though:

Maschine software isn't a DAW

I'd recommend you get something other than Reason as it doesn't have vst support. Even though Thor and all those gadgets are powerful and can make great sounds (ala Lucky Date), you'll probably want to tinker with other softsynths at some point (immediately haha).

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Snailboto View Post
    I would maybe test out other DAWs through a trial and I guess if one really speaks to you then maybe I would consider switching. However, since you seem to already own Logic I would seriously consider sticking it out because at the end of the day it's really not the DAW that makes you a better producer, it's the time you put into your music and I think Logic is on the same level in terms of capabilities as Ableton and maybe even more so than Maschine (I didn't think Maschine was an all in one DAW package but I could be wrong).

As for your issue with Logic, are you saying that after you quantize your Midi notes still don't snap evenly?

Also I'm surprised that you seemed to like GB but no Logic since I think they are pretty much the same interface/program Logic just has MUCH more capabilities.
    My thoughts as well, really. I'd like to stick with Logic, as I am a full-on master in GB, so I figured Logic would be the LOGICAL step

TBH I know next to crap about the MIDI setup in Logic. I know what quantize does, but I have no idea how to actually make it work...From what it sounds like, a Logic tutorial might be in my future.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

Honestly your best bet to start out would be Lynda.com for beginning tutorials if you plan to stick with Logic. Then again you could use LOGIC and REASON in producing

Tech Mentor

Yeah, I think I just decided to stick with Logic. I found the Quantize button. It was that little button with a Q at the top...who knew?

Lol.

Yeah…I'd suggest sticking with Logic. Just start doing some tutorials if you have to. There really isn't much it can't do. The differences–once you get away from LE/Artist/Toy versions–are just preferences.

Maschine is freaking awesome, but it works best in conjunction with a full DAW, not replacing one. Look at it if you want to work with a groove box. The production videos on NI's website are fairly indicative of its strengths…and people have written online about its weaknesses. I love composing in it, but I'd never even try to mix a song in it.

If you end up not liking Logic, then Pro Tools, Ableton Live, Cubase, Nuendo, and (to some extent) Studio One are all legit options that you can look into. But if you already own Logic, there's no reason to change until you find something specific you don't like. Logic certainly does some things in weird ways…but it's not that bad to learn. A keyboard cover and a couple basic tutorials go a long way.