Finally played out with Traktor Scratch last night..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Finally played out with Traktor Scratch last night..

So it happened.. I finally used Traktor Scratch out at a gig.

Last night i got a call from my mate (head DJ) and asked me to gig. Money was good and was only for 3 hours so i thought yeah no problem as it's at my residency anyways. As i was flicking through my playlists organising the final songs to burn my MP3 CD's i thought, the club will have <100 people tonight. Perfect chance to try Traktor because if it crashes i won't really be bothered as it would be empty.

So i sorted out my playlists, copied them from my iMac onto my Macbook Pro and tested a few things on my home setup (same as the clubs but a DJM700 instead of a DJM600). Packed my bag and away i went.

Wow packing my bag, unpacking, setting up etc takes much longer than turning up with a handful of CD's and headphones! Note: I have always been a Vinyl/CD DJ.

So this was when it got a bit scary, powering up the laptop and praying that everything works.. Indeed it did! Everything worked a treat. I used it for the whole night and quite enjoyed it.

Negatives:

I found myself staring at my computer screen a bit too much and i was only looking at the time remaining part!
    The cue function for me is still a massive problem as i usually just hit play and beatmatch from there, but with the delay etc it irritated me a bit.

Positives:

Having all my music visually to look at rather than text mode on a CDJ..
    Quite enjoyed it.

Wow Photobucket really screws up picture quality

Isnt traktor known to be buggy with timecode cds o.O ?
    what i do in ssl is put the cdj in vinyl mode, press pay FAR before your ready to drop the track and hold the jog wheel down, helps cut that delay out a bit, or just mash the first cue point (as i do with my dicers if using vinyl)

EDIT: whereabouts is your resident gig? glasgow i presume?
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    Isnt traktor known to be buggy with timecode cds o.O ?
    what i do in ssl is put the cdj in vinyl mode, press pay FAR before your ready to drop the track and hold the jog wheel down, helps cut that delay out a bit, or just mash the first cue point (as i do with my dicers if using vinyl)
    Yeah it's a known problem that if i'm correct in saying has been improved recently with the MK2 timecode and the SW updates.

I found a way around the whole cue issue as a temp solution but it would get irritating eventually. I was holding the jog down for a while but it just didn't feel right and i was missing my timing etc. Want to try SSL though.

But this thread was just basically a thread to say i'v tried the digital world i enjoyed it and probably will give it a go again soon since i'm an old schooler

I havent tried traktors timecode since 1.2.1 or something so i cant comment on how much better the delay times are between that and SSL, though i got used to hitting play a half second before the drop

I was holding the jog down for a while but it just didn't feel right
    yeah you get used to that, and you hold it for less and less time. i did that for quite a while, and still do it on vinyl >.<

guess you never seen my edit wheres your residency about?
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

glad everything went well for you mate. but i dont understand what you guys are talking about with the dalays on cue/play and buggy timecode?? i use 2.0.3 and obviously the mk1 control media and have never had any such issues always use absolute mode in software and vinyl mode on cdj, perhaps ive just got used to the slight delay without knowing it??
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    I havent tried traktors timecode since 1.2.1 or something so i cant comment on how much better the delay times are between that and SSL, though i got used to hitting play a half second before the drop

yeah you get used to that, and you hold it for less and less time. i did that for quite a while, and still do it on vinyl >.<
    guess you never seen my edit wheres your residency about?
    Yeah i think i will have to get used to hitting the play half a second before too if that's how i want to use the decks..
    I still do everything traditionally on TT's but just prefer using different methods on CDJ's

My residency is at Deja Vu in Peterhead. Not a big place but the club holds about 700 people roughly.

Quote Originally Posted by brian_johnstone View Post
    glad everything went well for you mate. but i dont understand what you guys are talking about with the dalays on cue/play and buggy timecode?? i use 2.0.3 and obviously the mk1 control media and have never had any such issues always use absolute mode in software and vinyl mode on cdj, perhaps ive just got used to the slight delay without knowing it??
    Yeah perhaps you have just got used to the delay as i use the same settings as you and it's doing my head in. But it's something i can adjust to, i love the software all round and definitely get used to using it.

I used to use traktor scratch before but it performs so bad that I could never again. For me the time code always had problems, either crashing, cueing not working, play not work, play backwards. I mean my laptop crash at least 3-4 times using it. For a controller traktor is great. For timecode its terrrrrrible imo. Better off going serato for timecode.

But I also just use CDs/USB for simplicity and reliability. Plus wayyyy lesss gear to carry.

I just can't deal with tc CDs or vinyl for playing out. Both serato and an traktor have failed on me.

X1 all the way, got my two deck mapping set up nice
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

For me its not so much the convenience. Its the reliability. I have had my comp crash because traktor crashed way too many times, plus set up is always a pain in the ass. Additionally switching between DJs is a HUGE pain in the ass.

I'f I'm playing a longer set myself, s2 traktor and x1 with a custom mapping. But for the gigs I play at big clubs warming up some DJs its just cds to cause less complication.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    I just can't deal with tc CDs or vinyl for playing out. Both serato and an traktor have failed on me.

X1 all the way, got my two deck mapping set up nice
    ive had one crash in a year of using tsp and to be fair it was my own fault for not having my laptop optimised, and once a cdj went down on me, but since that incident i have mapped a scene on my nanopad to basic transport functions.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast