Use BPM counter or beatmatch by ear? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Lilac View Post
    I can't tell if you're just acting daft or if you're actually an idiot.

Your argument is that if we come across another dark age, we'll need to know how to beatmatch by ear?

I agree it's a useful skill, I disagree that it's needed. People just beatgrid these days. It's easier to just need a few nudges then to beatmatch every song.
    Just useful? It's the most basic/corner stone of DJING! Everyone knows that a computer can do it for you, but why be lazy? Learning the fundamentals to any skill, hobby, whatever is usually a smart idea. If you even plan on DJING outside of your bedroom, i would suggest learning the fundamentals of DJING. You never know what your going to run into at a club or party. That club might not want your controller plugged into their gear, that hard drive might crash, that full drink that just spilled on your controller. Learning the fundamentals is really for all the reasons you can't think of, the unexpected stuff that can and will happen along the way.

Learn all the way, then pick and choose as your feel necessary.

Go watch Roger Sanchez on you tube, no lap tops, no controllers, just 4 CDJ 2000's and a mixer.
    It can be done. Hard work pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Use your ears.

Learn to beatmatch manually and it will serve you well whatever equipment you are using and whatever track you are playing, the BPM is only a guide and can, and is frequently incorrect.

CDJ's (at least the last ones I used) only display whole numbers as BPM (where traktor displays .00).

It'd be worthwhile renting a pair out for a weekend and getting a feel for them.
    CDJ 2000s display decimals.

I use both. The CDJs display will get you in the ball park, the fine adjustment has to be done by ear for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilac View Post
    I can't tell if you're just acting daft or if you're actually an idiot.

Your argument is that if we come across another dark age, we'll need to know how to beatmatch by ear?

I agree it's a useful skill, I disagree that it's needed. People just beatgrid these days. It's easier to just need a few nudges then to beatmatch every song.
    Spoken like a true newbie person who has never run into situation where people are changing in between DJs, or something goes wrong. Sure these tools are there, but beat grids are not perfect man, many many times they are wrong, many many times djs have to switch from one to another, either controller djs, from vinyl, from anything. Many many time laptops crash, controllers stop working, and you have to rely on actual mixing. Additionally what makes it worse is there are so many djs that rely on sync then don't hear that the track is actually slightly off, and just let it ride cause the computer says its right.

Its a skill that should be learned to improve your skills as a DJ. Do you absolutely need it? No you don't, but you will probably not be as good a DJ if you can't do this simple skill.

This thread is hilarious.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    This thread is hilarious.
    Agreed. I definitely practice my beatmatching simply because it's the heart of what being a real DJ is (as someone above said). I don't even truly consider myself a DJ yet. Sure, I'll use sync if I'm at a small party or trying to put out a podcast. Just because I know how to use software and hardware does NOT make me a DJ in my eyes. It just makes me feel fortunate and blessed that I have the ability to buy this gear and follow my passions and hone my skills. I will never ever try to get a gig at a bar or even dream of putting myself out there for clubs until I truly am at peace with my beatmatching skills.

I am a part of the controller class. But I have an understanding of what it really means to DJ. To me it means being able to mix on any medium put in front of you. Until I'm comfortable with my beamatching skills, I will not consider myself a real DJ.

It's such a serious skill to me that it's almost an issue of morals. But to each his own :-) Yes, the argument can be made that as long as you rock the party, who cares? But ask yourself deep down do you still consider yourself a real DJ? haha. Keep telling yourself that if you do. Whatever makes you happy right? Ok im done! :-P

Edit: With the current explosion of controllers going on, the definition of "DJ" is starting to be blurred. This is the real issue here.

You couldn't be more wrong, mate. Being a DJ has EVERYTHING to do with playing great music. That's all.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I never said its not about playing good music bro. Obviously it is. The question is whether or not beatmatching by ear is a necessary skill. It should already be assumed that number one priority is the music.

Not trying to get involved in a debate here man. Sorry if I wasnt clear :-)

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

IMHO beatmatching is akin to learning scales when you play piano.

Sure you can play piano by ear and make a melody but you will never have an understanding "why" things sound good together, or how to fix a melody (efficiently) when 2 songs don't quite work together. For beat matching that goes for either on the grid, on the bend or on the warp, if you can do it by ear you start understanding the structures better which in turn makes everything tighter.

There's no "need" to learn beatmatching so long as you are comfortable with how software reads the tracks and comfortable with how a computer can make a mess of it sometimes.

You should learn to beat match so you can bad mouth others on Internet forums. Also, only bad things happen to computers and controllers, CDs never get scratched, USB drives never get corrupted and vinyl never warps.

Seriously, learning to beat match is fun and its a handy skill. You may never have to use it again, but you'll feel better about yourself if you know how to do it.
    nope.

You'll never reach journeyman status in the DJ Union unless you can beatmatch.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast