Other types of EDM? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

thanks moniker you just saved me a rant
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

You are definitely right when you say DnB not derivative of any one thing.

DnB is derivative of many things. What mainly characterises it for me is the half speed bassline and the 165-180bpm breakbeat.

Loads of your older jungle uses the same Amen and Apache breaks as your classic hip-hop, and there are parellels between your industrial 2-step D&B and breakbeat too, but...

...seeing as I love D&B, breakbeat, and too a lesser extent the hip and the hop, it would do a disservice to all of these genres to try and identify a core sound or style for each. The only thing you can nail down for certain is their bpms and the patterns of the drums. Hence breakbeat.

So on a very basic level, you've got your 4 floor beats, and everything else. And every genre, subgenre and microgenre is the stuff that we music geeks can discuss to death, no?

Ah, semantics... love it!
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 04-29-2009 at 11:25 PM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

The thing about drum and bass is that dnb producers will use borrow parts from any genre - hop-hop, jazz, regae, house, techno, trance and the list goes on and on and on and on. So while it might mainly derive from a smaller handful of genres is actually thrives upon taking elements from other genres and merging it into dnb sphere.

Look at the success of pendulum for instance that merged pop rock and drum and bass to become the most popular drum and bass act ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Look at the success of pendulum for instance that merged pop rock and drum and bass to become the most popular drum and bass act ever.
    Unfortunately, yes. Pendulum do my head in. Great remix of Voodoo People tho'.

And you've had your techno-influenced Alex Reece, soul-sampling LTJ Bukem et al, your house-era Peshay, live jazz workouts of 4hero etc etc. And, er, Sound of the Underground by Girls Aloud.

So maybe D&B is a special case.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon View Post
    lol. my thread is bigger than your thread

im keen for this new 'glitch-hop' to take off. its basically just half-time drum n bass, i dont think its really warrants its own genre yet but we'll see

actually the glitch-hop sound has been around for a long time, but it used to be identified as idm, down-tempo and sometimes triphop. I'm a fan of it as well, if you want a taste of the older "glitch hop" stuff I recommend older Prefuse 73. Killer killer stuff!

Tech Guru

on topic I like pretty much all styles of EDM to a certain extent. there are only a couple styles that rub me the wrong way. I can't stand HappyHardcore and the really fem/gay trance. everything else is cool tho !

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    actually the glitch-hop sound has been around for a long time, but it used to be identified as idm, down-tempo and sometimes triphop. I'm a fan of it as well, if you want a taste of the older "glitch hop" stuff I recommend older Prefuse 73. Killer killer stuff!
    Agree'd.

Its only recently that its become popularised and identified en mass as its own genre etc.

Wicked stuff, tho I would say its more instrumental bass heavy hip-hop rather then 1/2 time DnB as the tempos range from 80-120 and the beats / sounds are far more hip-hop inspired imo.

THO I think the 1/2 time DnB crossed with dubstep basslines & styles stuff will emerge more as well and perhaps become something in its own right.

Breaks!

Listen to pretty much everything EDM I heavily prefer though the darker and harder styles, may it be hard trance, dark psy, hardstyle, hardcore, the dark stuff just really gets me going
    Every once in a while, I just bang away with happy hardcore, kinda brings out the kid in me
    Just too bad that everything here is currently elektro house, minimal and hip hop (about 20 clubs in the city and they all play the same). Boooooring! What a limited view on music... and also no chance to play the music I enjoy

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tenerife Island, Spain

EDM is a large concept. From the mid 70's, since Kraftwerk appeared on stage with his electronic machines, to the use of the famous 303 rhythm machine in the beggining of hip-hop in early 80's, the development of synths and democratization of computers in the nineties who brings electronic outside of the night kingdom.

But not exactly in the EDM concept, let me tell you some of the hard music-shocks I had experienced with artists on stage since I was 18:
    Alien Sex Fiend, FRONT 242, Red Snapper, Metalheads, Temple Of Sound, U.N.K.L.E., A Guy Called Gerald, Erik Truffazz Band, Burnt Friedman, Amon Tobin and the exciting sound of Les Tambours Du Bronx... (enough, these rememberings make me feel older )

I like to play in the same way I listen: in a hungry curiosity freestyle, from raw 50's rock'n'roll to new freshly elektro-pop & rock, surfin' between dark eighties punk-funk and rare no-wave-disco-grooves to DFA's loko-beats, switching classical music to ambient/noise/shoegaze experiments(*) when, very often, somone wants to make a real chill-out zone...

Allways reading the answer of the crowd and trying to make them feel good. Because this was the way I've been working for many years, being waiter and Dj... at the same time! :eek:

So don't stop the beat!

There is a guy near here, in Gran Canaria Island called www.myspace.com/elguincho that is making some noise around just now with his tropicalism. I don't like it so much but must say that is a curious sound.

(*) look at http://www.myspace.com/kurajica it's a friend of mine diferent and interesting music projects
    Last edited by LastOne; 05-01-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast