Choosing a mixer (Rane TTM 57SL vs. Stanton M.207 + SL2)
    Tech Convert

Default Choosing a mixer (Rane TTM 57SL vs. Stanton M.207 + SL2)

Hey guys,

So I'm a complete beginner and just bought a pair of Technics. I'm now in search of a mixer, and have to decide whether I'd like to buy an expensive mixer as a long term investment, or a cheaper mixer which I might later replace.

I just about have a large enough budget for a Rane TTM 57SL. The advantage of this is it's immediate compatibility with Serato Scratch Live software (no need for a SL box and the buttons are mapped out of the box, so less need to fiddle with my laptop while mixing). Given that I will definitely be using Serato (don't want to spend huge amounts on new vinyl), buying a cheaper mixer means dishing out an extra £350 for a Serato box.

The best alternative I've been able to find is the Stanton M.207 mixer, which with the Serato SL2 comes out to £650 (versus £900 for the 57SL).

What I'd like to know is whether the additional £250 for the TTM 57SL is justifiable. Since I'm completely new to DJing/turntablism, I'm having a hard time weighing out the benefits of each option. And given that there's a pretty large price gap between the Stanton and Rane mixers, there isn't anything on the internet directly comparing the two.

The other thing I'd like to know is how easy it is to switch between using timecoded vinyl and normal vinyl on the go with the different hardware options. I anticipate using vinyl from time to time, and would like to be able to easily switch between vinyl and Serato. Is there an option for me to use normal vinyl on one deck and control vinyl on the other?

I'm happy for you to suggest better alternatives if you have any.

Thanks!

Tech Convert

Anyone?

To be honest, if you were looking for a "complete" solution, get the 57. It makes SSL a lot easier, with onboard control and the SL built in, and the faders and controls are quite literally indestructible. Rane are kind of venerated in the audio community, they don't make a bad product. The stanton mixer is more of a temporary solution, it'll be a liability to sell, or a paperweight later on when you're looking to upgrade to a 56/7. If you're willing to pay the price, the 57 won't let you down.

Also consider the sixty one/sixty two series mixers, IIRC, the Sixty One has the same appeal as the 57, but with slightly different controls and a much lower price point.

Tech Guru

I am biased as a Rane 56 owner, but I would suggest you make the investment in the Rane mixer. Like you said, you are planning on using Serato, so you get your built in sound card and one hell of mixer all in one. Honestly, I don't think it is even a question.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Tech Convert

Thanks for the responses so far. I would probably go for the 57 over the Sixty One, as in the UK it retails for about £300 less.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by CocoPop View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far. I would probably go for the 57 over the Sixty One, as in the UK it retails for about £300 less.
    Save up the extra funds for a sixty one or sixty two. The 57 is using the SL1 interface which is seriously outdated.There is a known issue with audio dropouts and the SL1 interface when using a laptop which has an I series processor (which happens to be every new laptop or macbook on the market.) Serato/ Rane said they addressed that issue for OSX, but unfortunately that issue is still present via Windows. I didn't have any issues when using the SL1 with my macbook but the resolution and bitrate for the interface on the sixty one and two has been upgraded compared to the the SL1 which the 57 has.

I'm also a biased Rane 56 owner, and I really like Rane mixers. The only thing I'd really worry about is honestly it's much easier bringing the SL box around rather than moving your mixer, if you are playing out.

And for the pissing contest about audio quality on the SL1/57 vs the newer interfaces... unless you are playing on one HELL of a sound-system, I doubt you'll be able to tell a difference, and I don't think anyone else who's dancing will at all.

Have you thought of going for an SL2 and then the TTM-56s? That's another viable option that may be close cost-wise if you can swing it. Doesn't have quite the same amount of features on the mixer, but a pair of dicers takes care of a lot of it.

Saying all this though, if I were to buy my mixer/SL box again, I'd probably buy a 57 myself. I still might since right now the 57 seems to be going for a good rate, since most people are unloading for the new Rane line that is coming out.

It is stupid handy to just be able to bring your control vinyl and interface if you're playing somewhere that already has tables setup though.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Convert

Thanks for the responses. Went for a second hand TTM 57SL - cheaper than buying the Stanton + SL2 new, so a good deal IMO. The Sixty One and Sixty two mixers were way out of my budget, and even though the 57 is out of production now (when I posted this thread there were still a couple available new online, but not by the time I came round to buying it) it's still the cheapest option with serato built in...

Tech Guru

Plus, Rane still offers support and parts for your 57. You will short a mixer should anything go wrong, but with the list of authorized service centers and direct support from Rane, you my friend are set.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."