DJ Fakery - ITM - Thoughts?

Default DJ Fakery - ITM - Thoughts?

Just read this

I know its flogging a dead horse, but thoughts on this article?
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Mentor

My personal opinion is that it's fun to find those that are "faking the funk," but honestly they're way ahead of where I'll ever be as a DJ, so me being jealous and pointing out pre-recorded sets is pretty insignificant in the long run. Also, it's not like they don't know how to mix, they're just ensuring that the set will be perfect. Reading the crowd while in the mix is much less important for dj/producer-types, as the crowd is there to hear THEIR music. On the other hand, some college kid playing others' music in a pre-made mix at a school-wide concert would earn my disdain, as it is of the utmost importance for someone like that to actually read and react to the crowd.

Short version: if people want to hear music you made and are there to dance to your music, I have no beef with you using a pre-made mix.

Tech Mentor

Eh...
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Convert

Personally I think things like Angello's famed fake video are a disgrace - not that he's faking it, just the absolute f-all effort and passion he shows for being paid such a massive sum of money - the spitting, the drinking, the turning his back on the crowd....it's all just pathetically cringeworthy. If you're going to fake something, at least TRY to sell it to the kids dude!

As for the other people mentioned in the article, I feel for them but a certain level of 'live' is expected from a DJ - if they are advertised as playing a DJ set but aren't doing it then a backlash is fair - just like if your hired to do a job in an office and get in trouble if you spend the day 'working' on a computer which isn't plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    Eh...
    Thats how I feel!

I say F Em man. If you dont like people that play pre-recorded sets dont play pre-recorded sets. I just think its a little lame, to me DJ'ing is awesome because your crowd came to hear a certain type(s) of music in whatever creative way you choose to play it. Its not supposed to be perfect, but when its damn close to perfect you & your crowd are mesmerized in the mood. I just feel that it takes the fun out of it to play a pre-recorded a set. As I said before F Em.

Quote Originally Posted by SaviourDJ View Post
    Personally I think things like Angello's famed fake video are a disgrace - not that he's faking it, just the absolute f-all effort and passion he shows for being paid such a massive sum of money - the spitting, the drinking, the turning his back on the crowd....it's all just pathetically cringeworthy. If you're going to fake something, at least TRY to sell it to the kids dude!

As for the other people mentioned in the article, I feel for them but a certain level of 'live' is expected from a DJ - if they are advertised as playing a DJ set but aren't doing it then a backlash is fair - just like if your hired to do a job in an office and get in trouble if you spend the day 'working' on a computer which isn't plugged in.
    Premix House Mafia

Musicians have been performing with real instruments in sync with lighting and pyrotechnics since lighting and pyrotechnics made it to stages.

They've got to contend with several people, instruments with parts that can break or go out of tune, lots of stuff to memorize or improv...and the same lights, pyrotechnics, and other shit. You've got a few pitch faders.

Yeah...blame the lighting. That's what makes it too hard.

Fucking losers.

What he said ^ lol

The best part about pre-mixed sets is when they leave the booth to say hi to a friend and there's a transition happening. I've witnessed this happening at a club I played at regularly last summer. He would return to the booth like nothing was wrong and continue pretending to mix everything through one channel the rest of the night. Would only touch the EQ on the inactive channel while repeatedly putting on and taking off his headphones. Never touched the cdjs, or anything else on the mixer. He seemed pretty excited watching his 2 hour mix on Serato though...

watch-out-guys-we-got-a-badass-over-here.jpg
    Xone 92 | CDJ-900s x2 | KRK Rokit 5 G2