Haze vs Fog Machines?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Haze vs Fog Machines?

I need to get either a haze or a fog machine in the near future and I was wondering the main differences between both. Are there places I would use one rather than the other? Any advice would be appreciated, thanksQ

Tech Mentor

Haze machines are expensive - plan on spending at least $500. Haze is oil based, is less "cloudy," and can stay in a room for hours without having to constantly run the machine. The effect is very nice - beams of light are sharply revealed without thick fog billowing from the stage.

Even a cheap fog machine can fill up a good sized room, though. They have to be run continuously all night, however, and is much thicker. They give off a somewhat unpleasant smell, too.

SSS, would you recommend a Hazer if money wasn't the problem??

Quote Originally Posted by kamjongill View Post
    SSS, would you recommend a Hazer if money wasn't the problem??
    Having worked in the industry myself, I'd say a hazer is a very good option if you've got a deep wallet. As SSS said, the effect is very nice - the negatives he listed are for smoke machines.

But unless you're a night club or touring company, smoke is the cheaper option.
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

Quote Originally Posted by jezalenko View Post
    Having worked in the industry myself, I'd say a hazer is a very good option if you've got a deep wallet. As SSS said, the effect is very nice - the negatives he listed are for smoke machines.

But unless you're a night club or touring company, smoke is the cheaper option.
    Thanks, I need to cover a room of 5000 sq ft +, what would you guys suggest as a solid hazer?

Check out the Jem range - they're pricey, but rock solid. A well looked after unit will last for many years.
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

Checked em out, 2 options were the K1 and the 2500, the K1 is out of the question for $1500 lol, but the 2500 is $625 shipped http://www.djdeals.com/martinMAGNUM2500HZ.htm ... How is maintenance compared to foggers, same, or?

Tech Mentor

It also kind of depends on where your events are going to be. If you do a lot of indoor events, have the money for it, and have some time before the event (an hour or two) to fill the room, then a hazer is your best bet. But then again, fog blasts are cool too, especially when used in conjunction with lasers for the liquid sky effect.

If you are doing outdoor events, good luck using either - especially in wind, but you'll have better luck with a powerful fog machine. It will only last a few minutes, but at least you can run it continuously all night to keep it localized near the lights. A haze machine, even a powerful one, will have a hard time staying thick.

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    It also kind of depends on where your events are going to be. If you do a lot of indoor events, have the money for it, and have some time before the event (an hour or two) to fill the room, then a hazer is your best bet. But then again, fog blasts are cool too, especially when used in conjunction with lasers for the liquid sky effect.

If you are doing outdoor events, good luck using either - especially in wind, but you'll have better luck with a powerful fog machine. It will only last a few minutes, but at least you can run it continuously all night to keep it localized near the lights. A haze machine, even a powerful one, will have a hard time staying thick.
    Well that helps a lot, because I do plan on doing some outdoor events as well. So if I'm trying to do the liquid sky effect, would you recommend mounting the fogger?

Tech Mentor

Not necessarily. You can achieve a very good effect by aiming it up at the lasers as well. Just the more fog movement, the better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast