mk1 vs mk2 vinyl
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default mk1 vs mk2 vinyl

hi guys, just a quick one, im still using 2.0.3 as i have always found it really stable, my qusetion is, is it worth updating my software as i want to try tc vinyl, but dont fully know how much better the mk2 is over the mk1 tc. is the software as stable as 2.0.3 or will i be ok with the original vinyl?

just read that back and it sounds a bit confusing sorry, let me know if i wasnt clear enough.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

You can still use Mk1 vinyl if you purchased a license prior to 2.1.2.

As far as I can tell, the main difference between mk1 and mk2 Traktor TC vinyl is that N2IT doesn't hold the patent for the mk2. There are no massive performance improvements, it's more of a legal issue that NI has been trying to sort out for years (they now own their own TC)
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    As far as I can tell, the main difference between mk1 and mk2 Traktor TC vinyl is that N2IT doesn't hold the patent for the mk2. There are no massive performance improvements, it's more of a legal issue that NI has been trying to sort out for years (they now own their own TC)
    TBH there is a difference when scratching that I notice. Movement seems more fluid, better tracking, if only slight. Mixing you won't really notice a difference.

brilliant, cheers for that guys, i went and ordered the mk 2 and i'll upgrade my software, i got a good deal on a pair of records and a pair of cd's as my mk1 cd's are getting a bit grubby and scratched now.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

To be honnest, I didn't notice a difference.
    I think it had something to do with the fact that the MK2 code does not require to pay royalties, like they had to do with the MK1 version.

Ps. latest version is running stable for me (home & gigs)
    If they don’t want to see the light…..just make them feel the beat…..

Honestly I saw a pretty good difference between the MKI and MKII vinyls. Mainly with scratching, but I felt much better tracking, and less whine to them. Definitely enough to say you won't see me using any MKI vinyls again anytime soon.
    Tre Tuna
    DJ and Recording and Mixing engineer for live and studio sound
    Traktor Pro 2.7.1 | MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4gigs ram
    Stanton STR8-150s | Ortofon Q-Bert Carts
    NI Z2, F1, Machine MK I, RigKontrol 3 | Dicers | PadKontrol

When you guys say "better tracking" do you mean tracking to timecode, or tracking as in NOT skipping out of the groove when you scratch?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by TreTuna View Post
    Honestly I saw a pretty good difference between the MKI and MKII vinyls. Mainly with scratching, but I felt much better tracking, and less whine to them. Definitely enough to say you won't see me using any MKI vinyls again anytime soon.
    I also noticed less of a whine which was enough to make the switch.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

There genuinely is a technical difference between the MK1 and MK2 timecode, doesn't really matter if you can or can't tell the difference. The fact is its there. Some people say that can feel the difference. I can certainly sense that the vinyl feels different. Whether it improves my ham-fisted attempts at scratching is debatable. Alcohol probably negates any improvement anyway.

Timecode position cannot be decoded 100% accurately all the time when moving the medium, it drifts. There has to be error compensation. This is true of all timecode. The error compensation has been improved with MK2.
    It's also 2.5khz rather that the previous 2khz.

I understand that people just wanna say "oh it's just NI getting rid of te N2IT licence"... what i'd say to that is the fact remains that NI were looking to improve the quality of their timecode for some time, I know cus I was on the testing team.
    They didn't just go "here's new timecode, it dodges the licence so use it"... It was developed over time cus they wanted it to be improved. I know 100% that if the new timecode technology was not an improvement on MK1 it would not have been released regardless of the licence issue. It would have been way more damaging for NI to release worse timecode just to save some cash on licenses. Traktor Scratch Pro's reputation would be destroyed in one stupid money saving scheme. NI aren't stupid.

The N2IT issue is of absolute no interest to me. All I want to know is "is it better" and the answer is, yes.

Now all they need to do is make some bloody camouflage coloured vinyl like i've been asking for for years and ill be happy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast