Beat Gridding: Am I doing it right?
    Tech Mentor

Default Beat Gridding: Am I doing it right?

Hey guys,

So I've been having around a 50% success rate when beatgridding my tracks. I'm beginning to wonder if I am doing it slightly wrong. I am using Traktor Scratch Duo 2 with 2 Gemini PT-1000s (not the best, I know, but they work). What I do is zoom in on the first bass kick and line up the orange line with the bass kick. I hit the trash can icon, then put a grid marker down and lock the grid. However, this is also creating a hot cue point. Is this the right way to do it, or am I missing something?
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Wizard

I believe it depends on what type of music you are trying to grid: if it is any sort of EDM, it would have a consistent bass pattern, so those are easier to grid than say, hip-hop and R&B. I was once told by a friend that most of the time, you line up either the snares or the claps/hi-hats on that. I'm not exactly sure, I don't do hip-hop often, so I could be wrong.

As for the process, it seems fine to me. There is an option in the preferences that allows you to store the first beat marker as a hotcue, so disable that if it bothers you. Sometimes, rely on your own sense of rhythm and use tap.

Hope that helps.
    TSP 2 / VCI-400 EGE / MBP 15" Intel Core Duo 2GB / Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Tech Mentor

Most of it is electro and house music. I dunno what it is, but it seems that my preferences section is severely limited as opposed to everyone else's I see in youtube videos and whatnot. There's no mouse preferences or anything like that. I also didn't see the cue option you're speaking of.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Not used duo but the grid marker lines are white not orange.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I find that 95% of my EDM is gridded perfectly by Traktor. The cue marker preference is in the file management section under BPM detection. Not sure if it's there in DUO.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

I have no experience using Duo either so hopefully someone who has can chime in. Good luck Sunshine
    TSP 2 / VCI-400 EGE / MBP 15" Intel Core Duo 2GB / Audio-Technica ATH-M50

I actually don't think there is a 'right' way of beat gridding. It's all down to personal preference.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl