RCA to XLR cable?
    Tech Student

Default RCA to XLR cable?

Hi,
    I'm wanting to buy some KRK VXT6's, but my current setup is all in RCA. They don't have RCA inputs, so I'm faced with 2 options.
    1, use an rca - xlr cable like this.
    2, get some different monitors.

can anybody shed some light on this? Thanks.

Tech Guru

If the cables are built ok, it really is no different than if the monitors actually had a RCA input that you connected to. XLR/TRS are balanced, and RCA is not. So that changeover cable is not balanced. You really shouldnt have the need for balanced cables anyways w/ those near-field monitors.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    If the cables are built ok, it really is no different than if the monitors actually had a RCA input that you connected to. XLR/TRS are balanced, and RCA is not. So that changeover cable is not balanced. You really shouldnt have the need for balanced cables anyways w/ those near-field monitors.
    That's ace! I knew they were balanced but didn't know if it made a difference with them being so close. Thanks

It depends on the circuitry whether or not you can run an unbalanced signal into a balanced input. RTFM to find out if you could damage any of your stuff. It should say.

Alternatively, you could upgrade to a mixer with balanced outputs…or put an FOH mixer in between your DJ mixer and your monitors. Or some outboard gear that also balances the signal. There are a lot of ways to deal with it, but I think the simplest would be to upgrade your mixer if you have the money. If not, make sure the cable works.

^^^Don't mean to bogart on this thread but I have a similar problem as Aleene, except my PA's have balanced input while my mixer is only RCA. Know of any reliable and affordable DI Boxes (I think thats what their called) to convert the unbalanced to a balanced signal? I don't always entirely trust the guys at my Guitar Center

Those also lower the signal to microphone level, meaning you'll probably need a preamp b/t the mixer and the speakers. Use an FOH mixer (the behringer Xenyx ones sound kind of vaguely fine as long as you're not using their mic preamps and are as cheap as you're going to get) or upgrade your DJ mixer if it matters to you. A decent pair of mic pres would actually sound pretty good used like that……but they'd cost as much as a good DJ mixer to really get any benefit from them.

Tech Student

Well if that's the case then I might as well bite the bullet and buy a new mixer, oh well. Thanks