Going vinyl recommendation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Going vinyl recommendation

hello all,

i bought a s2 as my first midi controller in December and have been djing a lot of my highschools house parties ever sense. And i would now like to go vinyl. I have Traktor Pro 2 because of the s2 (and i have a midi fighter. Traktor Scratch Pro 2 is $700 so i am planning on using Serato for vinyl. Does anyone have any recommendations for my first mixer? And any other recommendations?

You seem to be balking at the cost of TSP. You are aware you'll need to pick up an SL box for Serato?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Wizard

Im pretty sure SL4 is even more than Scratch pro...
    Anoyways, The Allen and Heath Xone 22 is known to be a pretty good first mixer. Other options could be a Traktor certified mixer (DJM900, DJMT1) Or a Scratch Live certified mixer (Rane 57SL) so you don't need to buy a sound card.
    13" Core I7 MBP - Kontrol S4 - Midi Fighter - RP-DJ1200 - BX8a

I've always thought that SSL was pricier than Traktor...
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Tech Mentor

Traktor: Duo 333€ Pro 579€
    Serato: SL2 492€ SL3 699€ SL4 868€

So, it pretty much is pricier than Traktor
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

Must.. Resist.. Emulator troll..

Anyway, Any mixer will do, as long as it has two inputs, xone 22 is nice, djm250 is nice, djm 400 is nice, rane TTM56s is epic
    Your aware your going to need to buy a serato soundcard to use timecode vinyl yes?

and btw, buy owning two timecoded vinyl dosent mean your 'going into vinyl', it means your going into timecode.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

For cheap, I'm a huge fan of Vestax. As long as you don't need the mixer to have effects, it takes a lot to get better than what the vmc-004xl offers, and it costs $300. Noise floor is louder than my old xone:62, but……uhh……who cares? I haven't met anyone who didn't work in a studio that could actually hear it, and none of them can at club/party volumes anyway.

I'm also a fan of SSL over TSP, but…that's mostly to do with the software……and because they don't have Core Audio drivers, used SL1s are cheaper than most of the traktor cards and sound fine.

Some of it comes down to what you want to do. Serato is great for mixing with if you don't use a lot of FX or mapping. Traktor has LOTS of FX and you can get into some seriously advanced midi mapping.

Not to kick off a silly debate, but I've used both, and personally I like Traktor better, but I like the simplicity of loops and hotcues with traktor.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

You do realize that at most it would cost you $540 to get TSP 2 with an audio 10 considering you already have TP2, right? Meaning you're paying less than you would for an SL2. $400 for an Audio 10 and $140 for the TKS4 scratch upgrade (which NI confirmed months ago will work with TP2 to get you full TSP2). If you went with an Audio 6, it'd only cost you $390 total (pretax of course). Also just as an FYI, you're looking at almost another grand on top of whatever you do DVS software-wise for a pair of Technics ($5-600) and a decent mixer($3-400), even secondhand.

Or, he could sell his controller gear and his TP license and maybe make a dent that way. I think it was around $1200 for a full SL1-based DVS setup…counting decks, mixer, SL1, and CV. After selling my controllers, it was…maybe $200 out of pocket, and that was with selling at a loss because I kind of just wanted it gone. If I'd gotten full market value for everything, I would have made money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast