Getting rid of that icky jog grip goo!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting rid of that icky jog grip goo!

Heys guys,

So with the change of pitch bend implementation in Traktor Pro, I decided to use the CDJ setting with my jogs instead of the Traktor 3.4 method of 'outer wheel pitch bend'. This change rendered my jog grips more of a hinderance than a help so I decided to remove them. This inspired much swearing at how damn sticky the left over glue is. It gets everywhere! So for any of you first generation jog grip owners (Jog Grip Mk2 is on it's way according to the store - with less gooey glue) here is a cheap home method I used to get the glue off.

Obviously there is a host of products available on the market to take off this kind of adhesive residue from surfaces. But, most of these products seemed to be on the American market, and also I couldn't be arsed travelling into town to search for alternatives.

You'll need:
    • a hairdryer
    • Tape (duct, masking etc.)
    • a cloth
    • rubbing alcohol
    • baking soda

STEP 1: Remove the 3 screws from the jog wheel face and lift jog wheel clear.

STEP 2: Use a hairdryer to heat the jog grip glue. This just makes it easier to lift off. Try to keep the glue off your fingers, or it'll make cleaning the wheel a bit more frustrating later on.

Put the plastic jog wheel base aside for now. It's the easier part to clean.

STEP 3: Take a strip of tape and use the sticky side to try and pull some of the glue off from the edges of the metal jog plate. As the tape pulls away more glue, it'll get stickier itself and lift more and more glue away.

Now, using a damp cloth, dabble a light covering of baking soda onto the sticky edges of the metal jog plate and rub it in. Dampen the cloth and rub the remaining glue off the faceplate, rubbing from the inside to the outside edge. It might take a few times to get the plate fully clean. Wash the plate off in water and dry.

Step 4: Use tape again to remove as much glue as possible from the plastic jog wheel base.

Put some rubbing alcohol on a dry cloth and wipe away the remaing glue from the plastic jog wheel base. Wash with water and dry.

That's it! Nice clean jog wheels again. I don't know if this is of any use to anyone, maybe you all own Goo Gone, but it's here now if anyone needs it!
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tenerife Island, Spain

I did something like you, but not for the implementation of Traktor Pro pitch bend, I did it because I was boring of clean those sticky residues that the jog grips were always leaving around.

I used GooGone

Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

[QUOTE=JesC;45705]I used GooGone

in australia we have a citrus based cleaner called de-solv it which works really well with stickers and stuff so i presume it'd work well with jog-goo too

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    I used GooGone

Goo gone...its like magic shit!
    [Macbook 2.2ghz core 2, 4gb ram, 500gb 7200 Seagate Momentus HD, Western Digital 500gb external HD, Lion 10.7.2, Kontrol S4, Midi Fighter #67, Pioneer HDJ-2000, Traktor Pro 2

Tech Wizard

A few drops of orange power on a wet sponge works great too... http://www.orangepower.com.au/prod_GooDissolver.shtml

y'all are genius. i want new jog-grips too mine won't stay stuck down properly even tho the goo is still sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

For you aussie folk, use Preen - works wonders !

Yeah- the goo is really out of control, which is why we stopped selling them.

Apparently, the rubber started chemically interacting with the adhesive in the last batch and destroyed the fixing agent. So now some newer grips never really dry as they are supposed to.

We are working with the manufacturer to get a new set made that will not have the problem and will be sending out a free pair to anyone that has the issue and does not feel they got their money's worth.

its too bad, they really are very usefull.

what kills me is that u can see a ring around my vci's black platters where the grips were before
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast