Getting close to club gigs, would like some advice on a few things
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Getting close to club gigs, would like some advice on a few things

So I'm meeting with the head DJ of a local house club in my area, and would like to know a few things:

A.) Should I draw up a rider/contract and present it to him?
    B.) How should I go about doing this? Use a template and edit it to fit or begin writing my own?
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Mentor

That's great, but I was looking more into making a waiver for myself. Basically saying "If your speakers fry it ain't my fault," "You pledge to pay me X amount," etc.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

i got something like that if u want to use it as a reference

Honestly. If you present him with all that crap, especially the first time playing club gigs he may just laugh at you, and decide you aren't worth his time as there are TONS of other Djs who won't give him as much crap. Unless you are a larger DJ most of all agreements are verbal.

I can bring x amount, you pay me this hourly and this %. Thats it.

^ lol exactly what I was thinking. I've been a promoter myself and if I had a dj come to me with a contract like that I would just pass and get the next dj out there that would want a gig. Unless you are a big named dj, I dont think that is necessary, I'm sure you wont be put to blame on speakers blowing or what not, that head dj will most likely be watching the meters.

Tech Mentor

Good to know, thanks for keeping me from looking like an ass I was gonna ask for $150/hr. I feel that would be reasonable based on my skill and professionalism. Further thoughts?

Whoa. $150 an hour??!?! For your first gig! I don't know what it's like in the US, but in major cities in Australia your doing well if you can get $40-50 (AUD... but its the same thing basically now, in fact our money is worth more) an hour on a Friday/Saturday...... and thats for guys that have played a few gigs, or even been doing it for a year or two. You'd need a damn big following or reputation to ask for that.

Maybe the US is better tho.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    Whoa. $150 an hour??!?! For your first gig! I don't know what it's like in the US, but in major cities in Australia your doing well if you can get $40-50 (AUD... but its the same thing basically now, in fact our money is worth more) an hour on a Friday/Saturday...... and thats for guys that have played a few gigs, or even been doing it for a year or two. You'd need a damn big following or reputation to ask for that.

Maybe the US is better tho.
    Maybe you're right Would like, $250 for the night be acceptable? Idk I'm really just throwing out numbers here, I'm going to meet with the guy tomorrow night and talk it over. I'll probably have a better idea of what the going DJ rates are around my area after that.

My suggestion would be to let him suggest a figure and work from there. Like I said maybe the US pays better, but I lived in the UK for a while and the rate was actually less then Australia.

A lot depends on the area tho. Is it a city? How many other clubs? How many other DJs? etc etc.

I've done gigs 200kms out from capital cities where I've been able to charge $100+ an hour. But then on a Friday night in the city.... shit I take gigs for $40 an hour if its a good venue.

Your new, treat it as a learning experience. You're not going to earn the big bucks straight away.

Tech Mentor

That is true, I just don't want to undersell myself and work for peanuts and a bar tab. I understand what I do takes skill, and I value that skill. The city is Raleigh, NC and it's at one of the higher-brow clubs (no Top-40 here). I want to charge a lot more for the point that I take what I do seriously, I'm fully aware that the club gig alone is a reward in the form of a learning experience. I just don't want to sound like every other VDJ hack in this city.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast