1st gig question - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56
  1. #31
    Tech Guru zestoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK, Ukraine, Romania
    Posts
    2,860

    Default

    i guess the main thing is that if the venue has cdj's and they expect u to use them then u had better be able to or find somewhere else to play. there again if the promoter is cool with u bringing in other controllers then fair enough, just use them.

    i'm sure in a few years it'll be the norm for dj's to use their own controllers, we're just maybe not at that point yet.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

  2. #32
    Tech Wizard AudioOutlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    58

    Default

    This poor guy asked for a little bit of help and this is the hospitality he got? It makes a new member like me a bit afraid to ask for any advice or help around here.

    P L U R !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. #33
    Tech Guru CionniAsDj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Holy cow!! That topic is getting insane.
    So, mate, do not worry, if for the club owner is ok, bring your controller, plug your cable in the mixer where 1 cdj were and you are ready to go. Next DJ will have the first cdj free and when done you can plug back the second cdj.
    I live in Italy, we are like in medieval age here for controller, but, I simply bring mine where I have to play and play. Noone ruined my gigs since now.
    And I think we are like very very few people using them.
    You'll have time to learn to beatmatch if you want.
    It's important what and how you play thought your show and if people like it, it doesn't matter to listeners if you are using sync or not.
    (my 2 cent, I listen to often to DJ in club with cdj that are playing like a pig with 2 hands, no beatmatch at all, songs not in sync, so, you'll be surely better using sync and being happy with it)
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

    Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

  4. #34
    Tech Mentor DJ ATX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    This is the exact condecscending, snobby, attitude that a lot of so called OG DJs have that I can't stand. Its 2012, long gone are the days of "2 turntables and a microphone", technology changes, get over it. If all you can do, in this day and age, is look down your nose because a DJ is hitting sync then you are being left in the dust with what is capable when you are DJing today in 2012.



    Well I started on vinyl in 1989. Now I have a controller and I hit sync all day or I just twist a knob or move the fader to match the BPM of the track thats playing. Back in the day I used an electronic metronome to time out the BPM of every record and my records were all in BPM order. I would have killed to be able to have the BPM of every record on a screen in front of me. I would have killed to have keylock and been able to mix outside of + or - 3 BPM. As I have said before, too many DJs worry about the tools being used and how and not about the final outcome. You really think that an owner who sees a DJ rocking a crowd is going to say, well he used sync, can't have that here...yea right, more like the owner would say, I don't care what the guy uses and how as long as he packs the house. You said you don't care about the crowd? Are you kidding me? Its not about you and your ego that you manually beatmatch because "I am a REAL DJ", seriously no one cares, the crowd doesn't care, the owner doesn't care. Its about keeping the crowd at the venue, spending their money, its not about you. The DJ is there to play for the crowd.




    Are you serious? You are comparing flying a plane to a DJ hitting sync? Laughable. You sound like an old bitter DJ that can't take the fact that technology has advanced to a point that makes what you spent hours perfecting a lot easier to do. Thats life, change with the times and get over it or get left behind. You fail to realize how much more you can do with effects and loops, the ability to change tracks in seconds and have it synced without wasting times having to cue it up because its already beatmatched. DJing is a performance now, not just playing a song, beatmatching, mixing it in, and repeat. BORING. Again change with the times or get left behind moaning and groaning.
    To each his own.

    I stand by my statements. LEARN THE BASICS BEFORE YOU TAKE A GIG!!!

    BTW I have since gone digital as well, but put me on a turntable with records and I can still mix. More than I can say for half of the "DJs" nowadays.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

  5. #35
    Tech Guru zestoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK, Ukraine, Romania
    Posts
    2,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    BTW I have since gone digital as well, but put me on a turntable with records and I can still mix. More than I can say for half of the "DJs" nowadays.
    same here but being able to mix on turntables is beside the point... tho i do think being able to mix manually on something like cdj's should it all go tits up is a good idea.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

  6. #36
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    To each his own.

    I stand by my statements. LEARN THE BASICS BEFORE YOU TAKE A GIG!!!

    BTW I have since gone digital as well, but put me on a turntable with records and I can still mix. More than I can say for half of the "DJs" nowadays.

    Let's hand this guy a big gold medal.

  7. #37
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    Honestly, you should not be doing a gig until you basics are solid. Yes that includes being manually beatmatching the entire set. If this was my club where I have my residency, the first time you press the sync button and I see it. I would definitely recommend you not asked to be booked again. Seriously!!
    Sriously I dont see the difference, Id rathe someone clean and simple than complex and sloppy... plus beatmatching insnt freaking rocket science... maybe i just think differently because i came from a turntablism backrgound..

  8. #38
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    41

    Default

    ok so DJ ATX, if there was a DJ who you KNEW was an amazing beatmatcher by ear, who had every little facet of it down, and they used sync because there were more important things to do, would you lose respect for them? i know how to beatmatch, that doesnt mean i want to when id rather throw an amazing set. your argument just doesnt make sense to me

  9. #39
    Tech Mentor DJ ATX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJelixeR View Post
    ok so DJ ATX, if there was a DJ who you KNEW was an amazing beatmatcher by ear, who had every little facet of it down, and they used sync because there were more important things to do, would you lose respect for them? i know how to beatmatch, that doesnt mean i want to when id rather throw an amazing set. your argument just doesnt make sense to me
    If I knew that he knew the basics, I would definitely give him shit for it. If he did it all the time, I would lose respect for the guy. Yes the crowd probably do not care nor will they know, but a DJ should take pride in what you do DO NOT SHORTCUT!!

    Will there be times where sync is necessary, probably. But as a DJ, I should be able to mix without using a crutch. Taking on a gig when one is not comfortable with the basics yet is shameful in my book. One is just not ready yet. Its the problem with society today. Everyone wants it NOW, but no one is willing to work for it.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

  10. #40
    Tech Guru zestoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK, Ukraine, Romania
    Posts
    2,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    If I knew that he knew the basics, I would definitely give him shit for it. If he did it all the time, I would lose respect for the guy. Yes the crowd probably do not care nor will they know, but a DJ should take pride in what you do DO NOT SHORTCUT!!
    this i really don't understand. personally i agree that a dj if he's really serious about it should learn all he can about the craft. (tho i've never been great at scratching, just not appropriate for the styles of tunes i play). sync is just another tool and not a shortcut. if all someone did was press sync+play and bugger all else then maybe... personally i wouldn't have a hope at the complex setups i am currently experimenting with, with multiple decks and clips running together if i *didnt* have sync.

    i should have known this would turn from a "beatmatching by ear is worth knowing" to a "beatmatching verses sync" massdebate

    i wouldn't lose respect for anyone using sync - tho i would never have any respect for them in the first place if *ALL* they did was press play+sync and nothing more, but that's another issue entirely.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •