1st gig question
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default 1st gig question

Looking to get my first gig and have a few problems in my head. Most of the places i've been to that i figure i could get a gig at already have their set up ready to go. Usually a 2-4 cdj and a DJM set up. If i was to take my controller would there be any way to set it up? And if theDJ after me is using the CDJs would that affect him any. Or am i going to be stuck buying an audio 8/10 and hooking traktor up to the cdjs so i'm not stuck manually beat matching though my whole set. I believe i could get thru a set like that but honestly would rather not

If the place has a 4 channel mixer, or a soundboard, Plug your outputs into an open Channel. If ever channel is taken, disconnect either channel C or D. The Dj after you, have no fear. even if its only a two channel mixer, he can start his mixing in the CDJ that isnt unplugged.

Hope this helped.

Tech Mentor

thanks.. i guess ill just have to go over everything with the owner/manager first to see how it will be done

That's the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Easy View Post
    so i'm not stuck manually beat matching though my whole set. I believe i could get thru a set like that but honestly would rather not
    WHAT!?!?! You are a DJ right?
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Honestly, you should not be doing a gig until you basics are solid. Yes that includes being manually beatmatching the entire set. If this was my club where I have my residency, the first time you press the sync button and I see it. I would definitely recommend you not asked to be booked again. Seriously!!
    Last edited by DJ ATX; 03-23-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Tech Guru

Sometimes there is space, and yes, you can always plug into one channel on the mixer. I gotta be honest w/ you though, if I'm the club owner/manager, and I invested 4-5k+ in gear so that I could make sure A) the quality of sound was top notch B) DJ's could easily set up and switch over C) there were no reliability issues cause it's time tested quality gear, and then I watch you go into the back of my mixer unplug stuff/move stuff/or set your controller (which looks like a toy to club owners/managers) on top of my $1,000 + CDJ, I may not ask you to come back, and at the very least they may be very critical when listening to you mix. Listening for anything that may seem like a mistake cause they think you're a newb.

Tech Mentor

the beatmatching is coming along.. i just figure if i can make a few extra bucks in the meantime while im still perfecting it then why not. I'd rather put out a better set in public.. and practice my beatmatching at home to save the fuck ups for the bedroom

Tech Mentor

and i usually don't just press sync.. ill look at the bpms and match them I'm not gonna lie but rather not use since to practice my timing

Guess manual beatmatching is necessary in life........

All jokes aside, do your best, the drunk fools on the floor won't notice unless you have a pack of horses following your tracks.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast