1st gig question - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

set your own gear up, use the cdj's as a coaster. thats how we roll
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    Honestly, you should not be doing a gig until you basics are solid. Yes that includes being manually beatmatching the entire set. If this was my club where I have my residency, the first time you press the sync button and I see it. I would definitely recommend you not asked to be booked again. Seriously!!
    im sorry but your view on this is incredibly closed minded. in all honesty, if it was between an AMAZING performance with great effect use and crowd pleasing, but the dj uesd sync, and a performance with JUST AS GOOD mixing though manual beatmatching instead of sync, with no time for effects or hyping up the crowd, you would choose the one with manual beatmatching? if someone does or doesnt have beatmatching down, but they throw a great set, why should it matter if they auto sync their songs? if a dj you have incredible respect for used sync at some point so they could spend more time giving a great show, would you no longer like their mixing? i mean cmon, it sounds stupid when you put it in perspective doesnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by DJelixeR View Post
    im sorry but your view on this is incredibly closed minded. in all honesty, if it was between an AMAZING performance with great effect use and crowd pleasing, but the dj uesd sync, and a performance with JUST AS GOOD mixing though manual beatmatching instead of sync, with no time for effects or hyping up the crowd, you would choose the one with manual beatmatching? if someone does or doesnt have beatmatching down, but they throw a great set, why should it matter if they auto sync their songs? if a dj you have incredible respect for used sync at some point so they could spend more time giving a great show, would you no longer like their mixing? i mean cmon, it sounds stupid when you put it in perspective doesnt it?
    Trouble is this is an arguement that never seem's to abate people from commenting over and over again......

I totally agree with your above comment. In reality how many people on the dance-floor even have a clue what is going on behind the Booth. Possibly 5% of the crowd have any idea what traktor is in the first place.

Even pro DJ's cannot make their mind up (panel discussion at Amsterdam:

It all depends on the owner, my friend.

Have a talk to him and ask if you may set up your gear.
    I have even of a bigger problem than you, as I don't have any CDJs at home to practice with,
    so I had to gig only in clubs that allowed me to.

If you can't... I'd practice at home non-stop until the night in question.

Hope this helps.
    There's no other

Honestly, I would lose all respect for that DJ.

I started on Vinyl. Basics ingrained in me. In my point of view, unless you learn the basics and be able to do it. I couldn't careless what you do to the crowd. You are skipping a step in your journey. You are short cutting. Step 1) learn the basics, 2) crowd control/reading the crowd. Without the basics you are not a DJ, you are an entertainer. Period. You should be ashamed to call yourself a DJ. The problem with EDM DJ these days is they are stuck in a very narrow BPM range. You really do not have to know the basics and still be able to mix. Pathetic really. You also have DJs nowadays that is too good to take request, one cause they probably can't work it in even if they did, cause their practice is all about "their set" rather than learning the individual songs. With the basics, you can mix anything at any BPM range, with any medium IE Viny, CD, or Digital.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Tech Mentor

That is what i'm trying to say. Im not the person that just says f*ck beatmatching im not gonna even try to get it down. But if i can throw a nice set using sync while im still mastering the basics why the fck not.. Plus sync is there for a reason u dont put an engine in a car to push it around u turn that key and press the gas.

Just because there is an autopilot on the plane, doesn't mean they just let anyone with some knowledge of flying fly the plane. All pilots have to log in their time with the fundamentals of flying before they are even let on a simulator, let alone fly the plane.

The other problem with newbie controller DJs is their willingnesss to take on gigs for far less. Thereby diluting DJ pay all over. I have said this before and I will say it again. DJs is one of the few profession where the pay have gone done in time rather than go up.
    Last edited by DJ ATX; 03-26-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    Honestly, you should not be doing a gig until you basics are solid. Yes that includes being manually beatmatching the entire set. If this was my club where I have my residency, the first time you press the sync button and I see it. I would definitely recommend you not asked to be booked again. Seriously!!
    I think you're on the wrong forum.

Listen chap. Sorry to say but new times is coming. Do Ean Golden have time to manually beatmatch in his routines? As far as my brain can reach i dont think so. It's good to know how to beatmatch but it is not necessary. Just because you had to learn djaying the hard way it doesnt mean everybody still needs to learn it that way. Honestly i dont think you can compare these two things.
    Generally im tired of hearing people bitching about this stuff as like they were little girls on facebook. Please just stop it. We are everybody dj's and we are everybody deeply into and interested in this since we joined this forum. Lets just have fun! :-)
    Traktor Pro 2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio 2, Aiaiai TMA-1, Behringer EuroRack MX 1604A, M-Audio BX5A, Macbook Pro 15'' mid 2010
    Facebook and Soundcloud: Fuscus http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fuscus/275164752519652

And to counter attack your comparement. The pilots use their autopilot right? This guy can actually beatmatch but he still uses the sync. Nothing wrong there. YOUR-ARGUMENT-IS-INVALID-meme-collection-1mut.com-15.jpg
    Traktor Pro 2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio 2, Aiaiai TMA-1, Behringer EuroRack MX 1604A, M-Audio BX5A, Macbook Pro 15'' mid 2010
    Facebook and Soundcloud: Fuscus http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fuscus/275164752519652

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast