why I am liking using itch more than traktor at the moment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default why I am liking using itch more than traktor at the moment

If I had to pick only two things: Itch elastic grids + the layout and way the gridding controls on the Twitch controller work.

Now some background, I have used Traktor ever since Final Scratch 1 and used DVS for years up until about two years ago when I started just using midi controllers. Started using controllers just for cue points but then realized that I really don't give a hoot about having jog wheels, only for scratching and in that case all that makes me happy is vinyl/DVS.

So then, when I saw the Twitch I thought, holy heartfailure batman!, I really wanna take that and map the sh. out of it for Traktor. Furthermore I thought, it would -perfect- that for A/B and a K2 for full control of Traktors effects and sample decks. Alas the K2 never came, hopefully comes soon but anyway thats another story... In the mean time I procured a twitch and used it alongside a MF classic and DN-SC2000, which actually is quite a fun portable setup...

It was then during nights spent mapping it I would take breaks (all mapping and no DJing makes = sad panda) and just use Itch as it was intended. It was then that I started to fool around using the elastic beat grids to grid songs on the fly and later grid songs with tempo drift in them. After getting use to doing these things I now look at the controller and don't have this nagging feeling: "do I need to check the grid? do I need to start using the mouse?"

Now you may well point out that for a large % of EDM traktor's gridding is fine or you are a 'mastergridder' and it only takes you .1 of a nanosecond to do it on the fly... Well for me, that doesn't hold true because:
    • I have much music (DnB, bass music, old funk, soul, old hip hop + other) where the tempo is not constant
    • I find it tricky to work with multiple traktor grids within a single song (maybe someone can chime in with best practices for this...)
    • Assuming the downbeat is set okay I find even the most coarse gained grid expand control does not move the rest of the grid as fast as the way itch has it mapped on the touchstrip (and man I have tried to replicate this... again if someone can do this let me know...)

Other reasons I am enjoying twitch/itch more than the other traktor setup I described above are:
    • Slicer feature - is very nice to use for transitions, not so much to alway completely mix up a song, (IMO that gets tired quickly) but as a subtle beat repeat and then ratcheting up the touch strip to increase the speed
    • Loop roll - I know with traktor you can use Beatmasher2 but then you are using an effect and I like to be able to apply the effect on top of it, also the MF IG quantize settings are fixed as opposed to all the flex you get with the 3 modes on Twitch loop roll
    • Fader fx effects - Now this I can map this on Traktor, but what I am talking about here is that some ( LPF/HPF/Flanger/Repeater) of the Itch effects themselves to me seem better suited to sticking on a fader. For instance the filters, the meaty part of the filters is really right there in the middle of the fader and really nice to play with. When I map traktor fx from group mode to the fader I am yet to find really awesome sounding ones that have the meaty part in the middle of the fader, most of the fun is at the end, with the beatmasher for instance. This could however just be a matter of finding some mapping parameters that work better...
    • It is soooooooo god dam portable, I mean its almost silly how light it is...
    • you can store 8 loops AND 8 cue points per track

I may as well finish with what I don't like about Itch/Twitch:
    • The sound output is low, for me not a big deal after using mixer gain.
    • The knobs suck, but thanks to another poster I found better knobs so no worries.
    • I had one where the crossfader started malfunctioning, sent it back and got a new one and now its sweet as
    • I don't like the echo effect, its weak
    • I think the delay effect is okay but only when used as 0 or 100%, can't use it subtlely, and its not as good as echo freeze
    • the finer time settings for most effects, flanger and phaser especially sound like a train wreck
    • a bunch of things not supported by Itch, midi clock out, being able to midi map stuff

So then, I'm not done with Traktor yet but if the bridge ever shows up I may well be. Or if traktor added elastic beat grids and I could replicate the gridding controls from the twitch then maybe I would do 180 on the whole thing...

Diatribe over, portable setup pic attached (decks and mixer pic for another time...).

IMG_0413[1].jpg

Tech Guru

I'm a huge fan of Itch. I ditched Traktor for Itch and eventually moved on to SSL.

One think you also left out is the library management in Itch is 100 times better. No need for collection, has a prepare screen, etc. The elastic grids and the the setting of grids is more user friendly. I find Itch more intuitive also. I think better effects are coming...if they implement SSL effects it will be a huge boost. I believe Intro has the three effects banks set up, I'd guess that's the next step for Itch now that video has been impletemented.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Guru

I will be honest, I have been very intrigued by Itch/SSL recently. I'm not sure why, but I have typed Serato into Google at least 50 times in the last 2 weeks. Seriously considering making the switch to Itch!

I want to get off Traktor and get on Itch via the NS7FX, the only problem is I cant affor the controller and its driving me nuts!

honestly the thing that has stopped me from messing with serato is the fact that they cant make up their minds and sell ONE product.

some of us want to have a DVS system AND a controller system in one?!?!?

it kills me because ive been a rane man for a long time now, but traktor just has way more nerd factor...
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

I'm a huge fan of Itch. I switched from Traktor a while ago and never went back until now (reluctantly). As mentioned, I loved the elastic beat grids and also the Itch GUI just feels/looks a lot more professional to me than Traktor's, although you see more Pros actually using Traktor and none using Itch haha. I think the Itch GUI is similar to SSL's. I'm not familiar with SSL though. Another huge plus to Itch over Traktor are the stacked wave forms.

I'm switching back to Traktor though because I've picked up an Arturia Spark drum synthesizer to play some beats on top of the music playing out. Traktor has MIDI clock out, Itch doesn't :-( Therefore I can sync the Spark's clock to Traktor and not to Itch. Once Itch adds MIDI clock out, I'll be back! It's a huge feature request over in the Itch forums (among many other things such as better FX).

I really love the direction Itch is going in and that's why I'm still keeping an Itch controller. I love the fact that the DX is portable and can be mapped to both Traktor and Itch. Best of both worlds ya boiiiii!

Tech Mentor

I haven't switched, I still run both, Traktor for DVS and twitch for portable setup.

The elastic grids are great, but there is once instance where I have found it to be worse than traktor. If a track has a beatjump in it itch can't handle it. Unlike traktor where you can just place another beatmarker down and the grid will then follow the beat after the jump.

If twitch had the same functionality in traktor though I don't think I would use itch. But it doesn't so thats what makes ITCH such good software for twitch.

Overall I have a lot of fun with the twitch but my biggest gripe is the FX, they suck in my opinion, real bad quality.

You can do the same with Itch. You place a beatmarker and then can stretch from THAT marker only, so that everything behind the marker stays the same. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by geminimech View Post
    You can do the same with Itch. You place a beatmarker and then can stretch from THAT marker only, so that everything behind the marker stays the same. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?
    Yea I was going to say the same.

Tech Mentor

When you place a new beat marker in ITCH, it changes everything behind it unless you place it exactly on the same spot as a grid line would have been.

In the case I am talking about I don't want to do any stretching at all, I just want to start the new downbeat in what would be considered by the first grid to be an offbeat position, without affecting the tempo of the previous section.

WHen you try in ITCH to place a new grid marker in an offbeat location, it changes the tempo of the previously gridded area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast