I'm really not a controllerist, what should I venture into?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default I'm really not a controllerist, what should I venture into?

So I have a vci100se with all the new mappings and what not, but I don't use any of the features. I don't use sample decks, any jog effects, any complicated effect combinations, cue point juggling or scratching. In fact, I always turn of scratching capabilities so I can go into cdj mode (pitch bend) and basically just use reverb, flanger, and delays.
    I will admit that I like having a smaller controllerist controller so I can make really fast paced mixes (think porter robinson, knife party, or madeon kind of style) but I think I really find joy in mixing 3 decks (really hard since the vci only has 2 faders) that are more of the dirty south, axwell, alesso type deal.

I would really like to change my controller sometime in the next 6 months to something with at least 3 volume faders but should I stick with digital on traktor (or possibly switch programs if the controller doesn't map to traktor), or go a cdj route? Hopefully by around next christmas I'll have enough that I could go a cdj route? Not really sure what I should do since I'm basically a bedroom dj, dunno if I'll ever play live yet, so spending loads of cash isn't really justifiable. Again, I am open to a different controller option but I just don't know where to go since most controllers are for... controllerists.

Any opinions would be awesome.

I say if you have the cash follow your hart. But it seems you have no idea what you really want.

If you want to keep it cheap, keep it digital (any controller will work with any software btw) but it sounds you prefer basic mixing and don't want 8 cuepoints and sample decks and multiple effects.
    Sounds like a basic CDJ setup is more your thing. I'd look at CDJ 400s if I were you. Or a non-pioneer alternative of course.

Tech Mentor

I've actually been looking at various types of cdj's and pioneers are too much cash so the alternatives seem to be the best option. I just don't really know what brand is respectable.

These gemini-600s are like $300 or under for a pair so I would probably get a pair of cheapish cdjs like that or dennon brand and then a nicer used pioneer mixer or the Behringer DDM 4000

Do you recommend any non pioneer brands/models? Same for mixer?

I am actually not a fan of CDJs, I just don't like the concept of such devices. And I intend to never own one. So I can't tell you what 's good and what isn't I lack because hands on experience. BUT youtube FTW in this case, there probably are a lot of reviews on this.
    (My friend owns limited edition CDJ 400s and he likes them, but I suggest you just spend a lot of time on the internet and do your own research.) Of course other DJTTers will be much more of help

About the mixer: I 've heard bad things about behringer regarding build quality. The only brand of mixer I really like is Allen & Heath but they don't come cheap. They have some affordable mixers but I don't think that's your best bet. I think there mixers as cheap as those allen & heaths with more features.

P.S. I've heard that geminis do a great job imitating pioneer another friend of mine owns those CDJ 2000s and mixer that aren't really CDJ 2000s, if you know what I mean

maybe look at the Allen & Heath Xone DX, it's a controller for serato itch, 4 mixer channels, small non-touch sensitive jogs, 20 channel soundcard. dual color leds in most of the controls so you know what deck you are controlling easily. It's mapped to traktor and VDJ if you want to use something other than serato.

One negative about this controller is that it doesn't have pitch faders instead it has an endless encoder, I prefer faders and touch jogs so would not choose this, but it sounds like what you're after and it's pretty cheap now at around $500 brand new.

this should give an indication of the size of the unit
    Last edited by synthet1c; 03-25-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the input guys!

Funny thing, I was actually looking at the xone dx about a month ago but it was still like $1000 so I thought no way. I'm a little more inclined towards it now but no pitch faders is a huge deal breaker for me; I really love the feeling of pitch faders and using knobs for everything just looks too confusing.

I saw this on ebay which I could get with little to no money loss if I sell my vci100se.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350546930820...ht_6014wt_1185

it's pretty much perfect for me to start off with regarding cdjs and while I would like the gemini ones that look like the cdj 2000s it's about $1200 for a pair and unfortunately there's no middle ground. Plus at this price point I can easily add on a really nice mixer in no time or an additional cdj. Just gonna do some further youtubing to check out these cd players some more.

What do you think about this?

it's only $1000 from djdeals.com for the three deck controller cdmp7000....

Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Mentor

Great website, thanks!

Definitely going to consider that if I can't come up with the parts for under that sum of money.

Does this cd player look nice? http://www.djdeals.com/cortexHDTT5000.htm

Has a lot of the feature I'm looking for, and just a bit more money, so I can get a pair for around $500, then set aside maybe $300-$400 for a mixer. Sell my vci-100 for around $300, sell various things I've been meaning to put up on ebay and then I'll only have to put forth maybe $400 for a nice setup?

Quote Originally Posted by rcs1113 View Post
    Great website, thanks!

Definitely going to consider that if I can't come up with the parts for under that sum of money.

Does this cd player look nice? http://www.djdeals.com/cortexHDTT5000.htm

Has a lot of the feature I'm looking for, and just a bit more money, so I can get a pair for around $500, then set aside maybe $300-$400 for a mixer. Sell my vci-100 for around $300, sell various things I've been meaning to put up on ebay and then I'll only have to put forth maybe $400 for a nice setup?
    I think unprofessional is the word I would use to describe them, they 'll be just fine if you get them probably but the lack of a built in CD or DVD drive and the iPod dock make seem very unprofessional, most of the features they talk about are pretty basic.

I like the previous suggestions a lot though. Especially the gemini CDJs

I think the cdmp7000 is gonna be your best bet, its even for 3 decks like you're looking for. You said you'd spend about 500 on cdjs and around 4 on mixer so thats 900 for 2 cdjs and mixer or you can spend another 100 and get 3 decks and mixer and it all be in one piece. Not to mention the leds on it are touch screen
    Last edited by Otacon; 03-26-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast