Attitude towards controllerism/digital DJs - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

JesC FTW

Quote Originally Posted by roberto View Post
    music comes first before my controllerism routine (after i am lowered down from the cieling in a cloud of smoke in my gold crescent leather cape
    Epic

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Mudo

Turntable => Turntablism
    Controller => Controllerism
    Any Tool => Tooltablism

+ Bruce Lee's Jeet kune Do
    = Free Creative Human using Tools for express themselves so honestly as they can.

Peace

its back from the dead!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

yeah but like how many of you digital djs can spin on traditional decks/cdjs?

i'll withhold my answer to the end of the poll....

obscure?

I really enjoyed reading this discussion.

As I have a couple of friends with very different setups, and myself planning on going down the digital route, we've had some interesting conversations.

I honestly feel that there is a lack of knowledge about MIDI controllers in general. Those of us whom are reading this, well, we generally have expanded our knowledge base.

I have 3.5 (because 2 friends are roommates and share a setup) friends who are bedroom DJ's at the moment.

The 2 friends use Serato SSL, Technics MK5's, and have a random Gemini 3 channel mixer, but are thinking about upgrading in the near future.

One friend has a couple drum machines, a midi keyboard, and uses a lot of different software and focuses more on production and does a lot of his mixing internally within Torq. without time coded vinyl.

Another friend has some cheap Numark tables, a few drum machines, a large midi keyboard, a standard 2 channel mixer, and Torq. He does some production and a lot of mixing in Torq. He uses time coded vinyl.

Myself? I've posted around, but I'm deciding between a VCI-100SE and Traktor Pro or a VCI-300 and Serato Itch.

Having sat down and discussed the difference in equipment we all use or want to be using, it's really interesting. My friends who are set on using time-coded vinyl use it for the sheer fact that they don't want to lug around a million records, and I think part of it is that they rely on the visual cues from the DVS software.

I think part of the reason they tell me just go get some tables sometimes is that they don't really understand the power of what I want to get out of a MIDI controller setup. Yes I need to learn the basics, but I can do that on a MIDI controller as well, and they don't seem to fully understand the fact.

What it comes down to I think that we are in that transition time where technology is coming up to the front of production and DJing. There is something to be said for the very available tried and true methods, but there is also something to be said for the new tech.

I'd compare it to folks who are set on having a 60's muscle car. And those cars are what has been around, most people use, and can perform very well. Well I consider MIDI controllers to be almost like a new WRX coming out and showing a different way to do things and to get a really good result.

Something I read somewhere else as well, is that a lot of people compare using a DVS to driving an Automatic. Where Vinyl and Turntables is considered driving a Manual car. If you can drive a manual, you can drive an automatic. But if you can't drive a manual, you can't drive a manual.

I think a lot of it is the common misconception that people who switch to a Digital DJing interface is that they cannot operate the things others are using, so it is somehow inferior. And it's bringing knowledge to folks about what is out there and how you do things that is important.

Personally, I see a lot more available to a digital DJ than someone who is set on using a traditional setup. There are more things that you have available to you. But that being said, what really matters is what comes out in the end. You can have someone suck no matter what they are using.

Just read through the whole thread, was a really interesting read

Alot of good points brought up... Makes me wonder just how long until the majority of DJ's begin to use digital methods in clubs etc...

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    I think a lot of it is the common misconception that people who switch to a Digital DJing interface is that they cannot operate the things others are using, so it is somehow inferior.
    i can see how that gets started, for example 5 of 6 djs are using SSL with two decks and the last dj comes in doesn't use the decks sets up his own equipment...i'm not saying its right or deserved but your reply made me see how that does seem a little strange but i'm just saying this as an example. I don't know what its like where you are but around here i would say 9/10 people that use a dvs system use serato.

bigc i enjoyed reading your reply, yes it certainly is interesting to think about. It's like humans tend to make class systems, rankings, in the smallest of things....i mean come on (southpark jimmy voice) how much difference is there in the big picture sense between using a dvs to play digital files off your computer and using a midi controller to play digital files off your computer? certainly not enough to hold your nose any higher cause you use on over the other...
    Last edited by charo; 01-26-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post

Alot of good points brought up... Makes me wonder just how long until the majority of DJ's begin to use digital methods in clubs etc...
    It comes down to terminology but just about every single dj does now in one form or another, dvs are digital, cdjs are digital, that leaves the djs that still spin only records, and the songs on most of the those records were produced digitally...

Tech Wizard

Alot of well respected djs in New England that used vinyl exclusively back in the day, now use digital setups. Alot use timecoded vinyl. Not sure how they would fall into the scheme of things based on the judgements of these other people who dis.

Bottom line is that haters have been around long before people could dj with computers. Using a digital means to mix just gives haters an excuse to hate.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345