Prep-time on tracks, setting cues etc... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

When I was on Live, it took about 5-10 minutes per song to warp it, check it, cut it into sections, set follow actions, prepare loops, and figure out where to place it in my master als file so I could find it again.

On Traktor, it took about 3-5 minutes per track to re-do the grid (visually) from scratch since Traktor apparently doesn't like me and never created a usable grid by itself, tag everything, and make sure cover art was available (and the same) b/t iTunes and Traktor.

Now that I'm back to SSL, I don't do anything. Songs get added to iTunes and tagged (<1 minute/track), which updates smart playlists automatically, and then when I'm preparing to spin, I throw things from the smart playlists to manual ones that I actually spin with based on what I'm feeling for the set/night. Part of it is that I've been too lazy to map my lpd8 to SSL instead of just spinning in Absolute mode. I might get around to that at some point, but I still don't plan on preping anything and if looping and cues don't work the way I think they will…well, that's one less piece of gear to worry about.

I've gone back to using CDJs, so I usually just spend a few hours on a certain day every other week or so burning CDs and printing tracklists
    | Pioneer CDJ 800 | Korg KM202 | Citronic MPCD-S3 |

Soundcloud|Twitter|Mixcloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Grifff View Post
    I've gone back to using CDJs, so I usually just spend a few hours on a certain day every other week or so burning CDs and printing tracklists
    Oh mann this was one of the primary reasons I moved to using a controller from CDJs. I hated burning CD's over and OVER again.

2-6 hours a day!?!?! You're either rich/incredibly slow at doing this/not paying for your music and downloading way to much crap.

I normally tend to prep my tracks while I'm practicing them. Like I'll do a practice set everyday for about an hour and I try to use the new music I downloaded. A lot of the time I end up mixing with songs I've never heard or listened to completely. Sometimes I have to set the beat grid while two tracks are playing, that way I can get the grid lined up perfectly. I dunno I'm a little weird like that. I rarely spend more then an hr and a half prepping.
    Current Set Up: Denon DN X1600, 2x Kontrol X1 MK1, Traktor Kontrol F1, Macbook Pro, Traktor Pro 2 LIVE & LET RAVE
    SoundCloud YouTube

i can prep one track while another is playing usually.... that old 32 beat jump button does wonders.

i usually just prep my music as i import it to traktor.... maybe 30 mins to an hour for a batch of 15 songs or so.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaesnafu View Post
    i can prep one track while another is playing usually.... that old 32 beat jump button does wonders.

i usually just prep my music as i import it to traktor.... maybe 30 mins to an hour for a batch of 15 songs or so.
    yea i pretty much do the same thing. I'll prep one track while the other is playing. Then I bring it in when i think it'll sound good. if it doesnt sound good i try it again.
    Current Set Up: Denon DN X1600, 2x Kontrol X1 MK1, Traktor Kontrol F1, Macbook Pro, Traktor Pro 2 LIVE & LET RAVE
    SoundCloud YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by dayvue View Post
    Oh mann this was one of the primary reasons I moved to using a controller from CDJs. I hated burning CD's over and OVER again.
    It's not too bad, I don't really have to burn that many CDs as I'm keeping my music library down to a minimum. It was annoying when I first switched back to CDs though
    | Pioneer CDJ 800 | Korg KM202 | Citronic MPCD-S3 |

Soundcloud|Twitter|Mixcloud

I do it when ever I import new songs into Traktor. I use a computer for download and ripping cd's. Only songs I might or absolutely will play make it my laptop so it's minimal how much song I need to beatgrid and cue up. First thing I do after is putting them through Mixed in key then listen to them in VDJ as I like the browser in VDJ. Then I move the good songs into a smartfolder and when finished sorting the diamonds from the dirt I move them to my laptop. That way I have the whole CD (Maybe a DMC Dance mixes) on one comp and only the songs that are any good on my laptop and less to beatgrid so in reality I do not spend much time as compilation/promos don't get released on a daily basis. My only hope is that Traktor 2.5 will be better at guessing the grid, as of now Traktor would not make it through round one in any guessing games
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

I don't tag my Beatport song anymore, I let a programme run this. Best programme I've ever found. Makes every tag like it's on Beatport, including Key, Cover Art (this doesn't concern me, because I know most of the tracks) and remixers.

I use my X1 to grid and set cue points, the grid is mostly zoomed in max. and then I'll set my grid marker at the very first wave. 9/10 tracks are in good sync, sometimes I need to adjust them. Been figuring out if I shall use the metronome for this or keep it like it is.

It doesn't take that long, maybe 1 a 2 minutes per song. Mapped the Hotcue 1 to a Load button, so it's really easy .
    MacBook Pro 13 (Q1 2011) | Adam A5X | Akai APC20 | Alesis QX49 | Behringer BCR2000 | NI Komplete Audio 6

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast