monotouchlive in the house...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default monotouchlive in the house...

hey everyone, I picked up a new to me gateway tabletpc to function as my music computer to upgrade from my older dell 700m. the gateway is a dual core with 1.5GB of ram and 120GB harddrive, and came with vista so i set it up to dualboot vista and XPtabletedition. I use XP for music stuff.

i had seen those monotouchlive blog entries here, over at aldj, and at createdigitalmusic but with no touchscreen i never looked into it more.

well now that i have a tabletpc, I downloaded the demo and have been experimenting with it for the past couple of days. here is a pic of it setup with an external monitor for testing purposes:

makes for a very fun and easy way to mix with ableton. I can't wait for the multitouch down the road, but i haven't found the mono touch that bad the way it is setup. there is a thing called attraction on the faders so you can put your finger where you want the fader to go and it will go up or down til it reaches that point. the speed of the attraction can be adjusted as well.

according to the developer, there is a new version right around the corner with some new features.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Damn, dat monotouch looks like an APC40!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

That is so sweet. I have a tablet PC I hardly use and can't wait for the new release allowing custom layouts. This would be perfect to send MIDI to my Traktor MBP as well as Ableton. $29 Lemur!
    www.TheLucidLounge.com
    TSP 1.1.2 || Tech 1200's || Ecler Nou4 || Ableton Live 7

according to the monotouchlive website and a confirmation by the developer, Pablo Martin,

8-The number of DJ / Producers using my software grew exponentially in the last moths and the major upgrade of MTL see te light soon with support for Traktor and some nice usefull extra things...........the future can be and should be better.
    so that's cool.

one thing that is nice about this concept is that i can also practice/mix without the external monitor by just flipping back and forth from ableton to MTL on one screen. like last night i was just chilling on the couch watching a movie and mixing music in my headphones. no wires, no extra hardware controllers, just a single computer/interface. now that isn't attaching up my firebox or anything but for simple practice and familiarizing, it worked great.

I cant wait for multi touch laptops to come out >_< !!

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Man the hate this developer got from the CDM crowd was maximum!

yeah, i'm guessing you saw the most recent update on cdm from the response by the developer http://www.monotouchlive.com/index.p...d=22&Itemid=54

i'm not trying to go off topic too far in my own thread but for people starting to look into incorporating touchscreens into their systems, i also tried another program called usine that is a patch type audio program with a touchscreen interface that you can customize to your particular use. search youtube for some videos of it in action if you are interested. There wasn't the instant it works gratification of MTL, but with some work you could have just want you want on the screen. there is a free version, but from what i can tell, you need the pro version to save your work.

I also used the metasurface in audiomulch with the touchscreen which was amazingly fun for making tripped out ambient soundscapes. I hadn't heard of audiomulch until i saw it mentioned in a thread here on DJTT, and even before getting a tabletpc, I instantly felt at home with audiomulch.

to pull it all back onto topic, usine and audiomulch are setup for the most part for production while MTL is a dj setup.

I'm glad the comments here are positive, I'm not suggesting MTL is for everyone, I'm not even sure it will become something i use all the time, but time will tell, and i hope the developer, with the help of MTL users, can go further with this fun and easy to use product.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

lol, I read the new CDM post on it about 5 min after that post. Seems it was mostly just misunderstanding.

Yeah all this fuss over an article thats 3 years old is a bit retarded - guess i kinda feel sorry for the monotouchlive guy though because this has obviously been a cloud over his head ever since.

i feel bad for the guy as well, esp. since his english isn't the best (no disrespect meant) and that probably makes it hard to articulate a defense for himself.

pablo has posted a couple updates to the DJTT blog entry about MTL. I guess the smallest screen you want to use it 12.1, those suggested models aren't good for fingers, only pen input.

I wouldn't rush out to get a touchscreen right now with mutlitouch and windows 7 down the road, but for people with tabletpcs and those with touchscreens laying around should definitely try this software.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast