Audio 4 possibilities

Default Audio 4 possibilities

JUst wondering what i can do with an Audio 4

I believe I can hook up 2 tables/cdj's to a mixer or my S2. Can someone confirm the S2 part for me?

Am i able to use the sample decks, or would I need a 6,8, or 10 for use of the sample decks?

Thanks, Jay
    A&H Xone 62, 2 x X1's, A6, Sony MDR V-700's

Tech Mentor

First off, abstracting from some some special cases which aren't without drawbacks, Traktor can use only one audio interface (or sound card) at a time. In order to use the A4DJ with your S2, you would set the A4DJ as your audio device in Traktor's preferences which disables the audio interface that's integrated into your S2. (But the S2 continues to act as a controller of the Traktor software. Ofc, that includes control of the sample decks.)

The A4DJ will be fine if you work in so-called internal mixing mode (all the mixing is done by the Traktor software). In that case, the A4DJ will allow you to integrate two TTs or CDJs into your setup. Note that in internal mixing mode, you would hook up your headphones and your amp (or active speakers) directly to the A4DJ as opposed to the S2. However, the A4DJ would limit your options if you plan on running in external mixing mode (all the mixing is done by a separate, stand-alone mixer). This is because the A4DJ has only two stereo output channels. As a consequence, you would lack an output for routing, say, the sample decks to a separate channel on the external mixer.

Thanks for the response, you broke that down pretty well for me.

So lets say i am mixing externally, cdj's and a DJM, and i have my x1 with me.
    Would I be able to use my sample decks and filters (internally) along with the DJM, or am i not able to send channels C/D to the mixer because of the lack of extra inputs/outputs?

And I mean filters for the sample decks btw

Tech Mentor

if you got an DJM with 4+ channels, the standard is to mix externally. ideally, when mixing externally, you would like to route each of traktor's decks to a separate channel on the mixer. so, to use 2 track decks + 2 sample decks, you would like to have an audio interface with at least 4 stereo outputs such as an A8DJ. now, it is possible to route more multiple traktor decks to a single output on your audio interface. but if you do that, all those decks go to the same channel of your mixer so you don't have separate EQs, upfaders, etc. for them.

Tech Mentor

the filters for the sample decks work either way.

I have a great deal available on an audio 4 and will prob just grab it so I don't have to bring my s2 to my buddies houses who have more traditional setups. I don't play out much an would bring my s2 with me anyhow.
    Thanks for the help.

out of curiosity what connections are needed to connect the decks of an s2 to two separate channels of a djm 850 or 900 so i can mix externally with the djm