DirtyNerd's Setup

Default DirtyNerd's Setup

Hello Everyone!!! I'm new here...I've Started DJ'ing about 25 years ago...but took about a 20+ year break and am only just now getting back into it. So, I basically started fresh again...but am having a blast!!!!

Anyway, this is my setup. It is a mix of scavenged bits that I have had around for many years, some ebay/craigslist/garage-sale finds repurposed for my needs as well as some new controllers etc.

Here it is:
    • Macbook Pro 17" (too big and cumbersome to carry around....next one will be smaller...probably a 15")
    • Traktor Pro 2
    • Ableton
    • Novation Launchpad: Ableton clip triggering. It also does double duty in Traktor with a custom mapping that lets me control Decks A&B simultaneously...assign FX1-4 for decks A&B, set/trigger/delete hotcues 1-8 for both decks as well as a modified "Instant Gratification" mapping for both decks, and main volume levels for left & right channels using the Launchpad's LED
    • Native Instruments Kontrol X1: Basic mapping with only a few tweaks to control the channel 1&2 Filters in Traktor
    • M-Audio Xsession Pro: "internal" mixer for Ableton and Traktor
    • Traktor Audio-2 interface
    • Korg nanoKontrol2: Ableton "mixer" and I have it custom mapped to Kontrol Decks C&D as sample decks in Traktor
    • Akai LPK25
    • Behringer BCR-2000: Mainly only for effects parameters etc. in Ableton
    • M-Audio AV-30 Monitors
    • Korg Electribe EA-1 Digital Synth (old school vintage synth)
    • Korg Kaossilator
    • Yamaha MG10/2 Mixer: main mixer for all my sound...Laptop output (through the Audio-2), Kaossilator & EA-1 all routed through it and output to monitors and my "main" out is an old Sony home theater receiver as an amp for a pair of Sony home theater speakers...

DJ Setup 2012-03 - 6.jpg

I use Ableton mainly for production and Traktor for straight-up DJ'ing.

I am cheap, but willing to spend the $$$ if something is worth it. So, if I can get something used/cheap to suit my needs I will do that, and then save up so I can buy stuff that

Currently...I am saving up for a Kontrol F1 when it is released. I was considering a MidiFighter, but now I may wait and check out a MidiFighter3D...we'll see. I will be making a trip to IKEA so I can build a useful DJ booth too :-)

Also, I have some old vinyl and an old school vintage mixer and turntable that I am restoring.

Tech Wizard

Welcome! Whats the turntable?

Quote Originally Posted by Smaze View Post
    Welcome! Whats the turntable?
    Oh...nothing fancy. I have an old Hitachi from way back in the day and then a more recent Stanton STR8-30 that needs some TLC...