Feelings about new Kontrol F1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Feelings about new Kontrol F1

I was stoked to see NI coming out with a new Traktor controller. But then after seeing the videos and reviews, its more directed as a remix deck sort of thing.

I was hoping for an updated X1 with better sample deck useability and nice big pads for cue juggling. How do you think its use will be for say... using it with Traktor Scratch and controlling the additional features of the software with the controller. Thats what I was hoping for..

Should I buy this or wait for an updated X1, Thoughts?
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Was feeling the same, anyway, I think is better than the x1 due his non mixer interface.
    I'll probably map it in other way than remix deck, that I think I'm not gonna use.
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

Tech Guru

I am leaning towards this also. The thought of buying 2 has turned me off a bit, but I am going to start with one, see whats up and make a decision from there on a second one. Worst comes to worst I remap it for the sample decks and cue points and remap my X1.

Quote Originally Posted by CionniAsDj View Post
    Was feeling the same, anyway, I think is better than the x1 due his non mixer interface.
    I'll probably map it in other way than remix deck, that I think I'm not gonna use.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

At the mo I'm not sure. did not like the x1 when that came out. just bought one recently and love it with the HID interaction with traktor. So I'm sure once i play with the f1 I'll be impressed and end up buying one. Initially i was looking forward to it before i even knew the actual product, how optimistic am i? but the price has put me off considerably. I've decided to try and get the most out of what i have now.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Except for pad size, the allen k2 seems like a better candidate for what you want.

Tech Guru

I think what a lot of people are Overlooking is the fact that when u get the F1 you plug it in and it's ready to go. A lot of thought was clearly put into the workflow for this controller. Any other controller you buy is goIng to have to be mapped and that could take a while to achieve the same tight workflow

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abyrne7 View Post
    But then after seeing the videos and reviews, its more directed as a remix deck sort of thing.
    Thats exactly what it is for. Thats the whole point of the F1. It is not meant as an X1 replacement.
    They really aren't meant to be compared.

Quote Originally Posted by CionniAsDj View Post
    Again, the F1 isn't better than the X1 if you want to control FX and standard deck functions. Its certainly better than the X1 at controlling the remix decks but it should be, thats its whole reason for being.

I keep reading that people will sell their X1s to buy an F1 and I bet a good percentage of these people will regret it and buy an X1 again to with the F1.

Dont get me wrong, I can see why people have this thinking. There was SO much expectation (not set my NI) that there was an X2 coming out that people have been a bit blind-sided by the F1 and they are trying to bend the F1 into an X2 and it simply isnt meant to be used like that.

I think the only people that should be considering selling their X1s are people that use them solely for the sample decks. If you use your X1 for more than that your gonna miss it if you sell it.

Jus my thoughts.

Tech Guru

My thoughts are that NI could have killed it if they offered four more knobs and a few extra smaller buttons to the F1. That way people could use it as a remix controller and as an updated X1.

Why not offer different mappings to people right away instead of one standard mapping. Offer overlays for remix deck useage and normal 2 deck control useage. I could be nit picky but to me these small things would make them sell like crazy.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Convert

The solution is simple; buy the F1, buy/keep the X1, add it to your set-up so you have it available if you feel the need to use it.

Obviously if you don't like it, or realise you've not used it after 6 months, sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Abyrne7 View Post
    My thoughts are that NI could have killed it if they offered four more knobs and a few extra smaller buttons to the F1. That way people could use it as a remix controller and as an updated X1.

Why not offer different mappings to people right away instead of one standard mapping. Offer overlays for remix deck useage and normal 2 deck control useage. I could be nit picky but to me these small things would make them sell like crazy.
    To your first comment: why would they do that? you got to remember they are in the business of making money, so they wouldn't want to make one of their existing controllers (that they will still sell) obsolete.

to your second comment. They are including an overlay with it and it will be able to control track decks as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast