What kind of songs should I play? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Wow dude chill out, people didn't through hissy fits like this when people were handing out mix cassette tapes and cds for friends- same thing here.
    I agree. Can you honestly say for yourself you've never been handed a cd by a friend who didn't produce the content on it, thus committing copyright infringement? I'm not condoning piracy here, but srsly, can you?

also, lol @ the can of worms thing

it's ironic that the grey album has been mentioned on DJTT's blog recently
    Last edited by despo; 03-27-2012 at 08:45 PM.

yeah jeez this has nothing to do with "stealing" for heaven's sake. I used to make mixtapes for my friends all the time back in the day and I don't give a shit that the record companies were trying to convince people it was stealing. Same thing now with mix CDs. Fact is, people like me caused more music to be bought (and there was a US Congressional investigation in the 80s that came to the same conclusion), created more music fans, and put more money in the industry's pockets. Totally different thing than bittorrent and all that stuff where you're not just sharing with a friend but with millions of unknown downloaders. But in either case, the original poster asked for legitimate advice, and there's no sense turning this into a piracy argument over a couple of songs shared with one other person. You don't like it, only play music by yourself in a room alone, because anything else is breaking the law.

Now, on to the original question; I'd say you can DJ with whatever songs you like that you think you can move a crowd with. It may be easier to match beats with extended remixes that have long intros with bare drum machine beats, but it's ultimately pretty unimaginative. Some of my favorite mixes bring in tunes that are played with live instruments, not quantized, or that eclectically blend different styles of music. I've played parties of all swing music from the 1930s-60s before; none of that shit is quantized, but you can still mix it cleverly if you know your stuff. My advice - watch what other DJs do and learn from it, but don't be bound by one person's view of what's right. If you love these songs then try to blend them yourself, see what works and what doesn't, record your mix and see how it sounds.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by despo View Post
    Hi all.

The other day a DJ approached me (he's been djing for 20 years around here I think) and asked me to put some house music on an USB stick.
    That's what I was commenting on guys. How much? A gig, 10 gigs? All I was pointing out that sharing music like that is piracy, and its frowned upon here. I take back what I said, talkabout whatever you want.

My recommendation still stands though, if he doesn't like your music, he can find his own. This thread is ridiculous, what music should I play at a venue is the question. Play country.

Sorry if I offended anyone by pointing out that sharing music on a usb is the same as sharing over dropbox/megaupload etc. Who needs to chill?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions.
    We did not share music for the last time, what does it matter how much filesize was on that stick.
    The question is more like, what factors should I incorporate in my choice of songs? "Play Country"? No need to be an ass about it.
    I guess you make a lot of friends.
    Last edited by despo; 03-27-2012 at 09:02 PM.

But to get back on topic, still not sure why a veteran DJ was asking you for music on a flash drive to use at a gig then complaining to you that he didn't like it. Fuck him, he sounds like an idiot if he's been DJing for 20 years and can't find his own music. But to answer your question I wouldn't really call knife party or ferry corsten house music so that might be it- but it's kind of vague asking for music if you don't know the venue- and people mean different things when they say house music. When I hear house music I think deep house, soulful house, tribal house, filter house, house music and commercial electro house and progressive house don't have all that much in common with it despite being close in bpm and 4 on the floor- they're completely different things. And to answer your question you don't need extended intros to mix especially if you are digital DJing and have other tools available.

Didn't mean to turn this into a pissing contest. Sorry all, I'm done with this thread, you don't need to worry about me and my opinions anymore.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    But to get back on topic, still not sure why a veteran DJ was asking you for music on a flash drive to use at a gig then complaining to you that he didn't like it. Fuck him, he sounds like an idiot if he's been DJing for 20 years and can't find his own music.
    Yeah, I guess you are right but that's exactly what happened. He also complains about DJs who start mixing after about "one and a half minutes" and he seems to be all about being "real" with playing on CDJs, he looks down on people who use laptops.

20 years of djing and NEEDS 1-2 minutes of drum only?

noob
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    20 years of djing and NEEDS 1-2 minutes of drum only?

noob
    exactly my thoughts
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Tech Mentor

perhaps not 2 minutes, but 20 seconds.. still wtf. Perhaps I just got him wrong or I dunno. Imma just see what kind of tracks he'll show me before i can comment on that. But I also thought that he is making his life pretty easy with drum tracks and extended mixes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast