What kind of songs should I play?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default What kind of songs should I play?

Hi all.

The other day a DJ approached me (he's been djing for 20 years around here I think) and asked me to put some house music on an USB stick.

I myself am a bedroom dj who has only played out at some icerink once, so I thought I'd give him some stuff that isn't that mainstream.

I gave him this song for example:

and some knife party songs ( tho I wouldn't play these in a venue)
    He came back to me saying stuff like "I can't use any of these, if you're working with these, you won't get very far." I don't know why he said that, perhaps the music wasn't mainstream enough.
    He also complained that he couldn't mix the songs, as "the melody starts way too soon, there is no drum beat" (something about extended mixes, I don't remember correctly)

this has seriously left a dent in my self-confidence
    Is it true that I need to work with extended mixes to get sufficient results?
    Also, can anyone point me to some example song lists (or perhaps videos of sets) that someone would play at a venue, so I can get a grip on what kind of music I should play?

You broke the law bro. You can't give music away unless you produced it. No open piracy here, you will get the banhammer
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

woah woah, calm down, I had no idea. I buy my music and I just gave him my usb stick, he didn't copy anything off of it because he didn't like it anyway. He just listened to my music, I can't see how that is piracy. I got the stick back, no songs have been copied.

also,
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    you will get the banhammer
    you should get one too for predicting moderation
    Last edited by despo; 03-27-2012 at 07:47 PM.

I'm calm. Let's assume he did take some music.....if I steal a car and give it to you, you are breaking the law by having it. If you give it back after 2 days, you still had it for 2 days. There are quite a few guys here that are very much opposed to piracy, and some are Mods.
    If your tracks are too short at the start and are extended mixes that have been chopped up into tracks, it doesn't look like they were paid for in the first place.....
    My recommendation is this:
    Don't give him music, he's been DJing for 20 years, he knows where to find tunes. If he doesn't like yours, no big deal, if you like the tunes, spin those tunes.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

He did not. I'm also opposed to piracy.
    The thing is you did not steal the car. You let me have a look at YOUR car, nothing more. I was right there when he listened to the music.

If your tracks are too short at the start and are extended mixes that have been chopped up into tracks, it doesn't look like they were paid for in the first place.....
    That's bullshit, I never said they are extended mixes in the first place, that's just you making stuff up. What I meant was that he wanted them to be extended mixes. I got my tracks off beatport, and they are not extended mixes, nor are they extended mixes that have been chopped up.

Also, I just read up on some law stuff. I'm allowed in my country to give music I bought to third parties, as long as it is meant for "private usage" (aka giving it to people I know), we don't have this "fair use" BS over here
    Last edited by despo; 03-27-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Dripstep, you have a point with the piracy comment, but srsly bro:

Ok, so back on topic... OP, you want to know what to play in a venue? I'd seriously ask the guy who has been DJing for 20 years, maybe see if you can shadow him for a gig. That would probably be far more useful than a list of tracks you should play, which would vary depending on the night, venue, etc... hell top40 is a list... Could also be problem with style, you may be able to mix those tracks no problem but this guy might not be used to the structure of those kinds of tracks versus his usual.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Maybe the problem was Knife Party and Ferry Corsten aren't really House music? (It's also fairly crappy, but that's all subjective)

Tech Mentor

Finally some advice. He did offer me to show me some tracks (yes SHOW, not give before we go over this again) to use in a set on another day. Dunno if he'd let me shadow him though.

Also, how does he have a point in terms of piracy if said laws don't apply to my country?

I'm calm. Let's assume he did take some music.....if I steal a car and give it to you, you are breaking the law by having it. If you give it back after 2 days, you still had it for 2 days. There are quite a few guys here that are very much opposed to piracy, and some are Mods.
    My recommendation is this:
    Don't give him music, he's been DJing for 20 years, he knows where to find tunes. If he doesn't like yours, no big deal, if you like the tunes, spin those tunes.
    If you want to have an intelligent conversation on piracy at least don't call it stealing which courts (including the U.S. Supreme Court) have long thrown out, copyright infringement is not theft regardless of anyone's personal views on it.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 03-27-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by despo View Post
    Also, how does he have a point in terms of piracy if said laws don't apply to my country?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast