Sylenth1 Questions
    Tech Mentor

Default Sylenth1 Questions

Yo yo,
    I've gotten very into using Sylenth1 as it is a great all around synth and very capable of producing big room, huge professional sounds.
    Question.
    Do most of the big producers out there using sylenth1, Zedd, Porter Robinson, Hardwell, Dada Life, use presets? or do they make patches from the Init option?
    If they use presets, can someone direct me to a preset pack for sylenth that actually has GOOD usable sounds? The stock ones are EH.
    Thanks,
    Jed

Tech Mentor

Everyone uses presets; Everyone also creates their own sounds. It's a little bit of both but I know that many of Porter's synths (particularly in The Seconds & Unison) can be pretty easily recreated in Sylenth1 by tweaking presets.

Tech Mentor

I'm not a fan of many of the stock presets however, if you have some basic knowledge of synthesis many are tweakable to produce quite satisfying sounds. I actually have found that removing the arpeggiator off of some of the preset arps leaves you with a nice house pluck to tweak and play with. That said, you'd be surprised how many artists use presets. Generally though, most who use them have modified them to some extent.

Funny example, Preset #69: Screamer is skrillex's scary monsters lead. Blatantly obvious
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8

Slightly off topic, but it's worth mentioning that most people who bash presets wouldn't think twice about using vintage roland TR 808s, 707s, 909s, 303s, etc. which are all pretty much the equivalent of hardware single preset boxes.

Anyway there is a balance, a lot of presets happen to sound like crap or they just get overused to the point that they start to sound really cliche (think massive patches and electro house/dubstep).

If something can be tweaked or used as is then by all means use it though.

Tech Mentor

Also, in response to your question for good Sylenth1 Presets for the styles created by the artists you named, I would recommend checking out SoundsToSample.com or I think it might be sounds.beatport.com now, do a little digging and there are some great synthesizer presets for a pretty reasonable price. (~$25USD)