Burning in new headphones or not?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Burning in new headphones or not?

Hey guys

I just got a new pair of V-Moda Crossfades for my bday yesterday and i was wondering what everyones opinions are on burning/breaking in headphones are? Ive read many different reviews and articles which give many different opinions and honestly its just ridiculous how much they all differ.

Anyone had good/bad experiences with white noise/pink noise/different waves etc etc

Thanks

Tech Convert

I've been in the DJ industry for 12 years and have honestly never burnt any headphones in, or had any problems with them.

That's using everything from Sony V700, Technics, Sennheisers and my most recent Beats Pro and Beats Studio headphones.

How's the audio quality on those beats?

Op, happy birthday bro! The one thing I love about headphones is that they sound so much better when you get new ones. But that might be like my skateboard bearings. Just because they are new, they seem a million times better.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

I find the quality of the Beats decent man, the Pros are perfect for my weekly gigs and the Studios I use for watching movies on iPad or working on the laptop when the lady is asleep haha....each to their own though with headphones, some people don't like the Beats, I love them.

And yes...Happy Birthday TS!
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Tech Mentor

my understanding is that burning-in of headphones is voodoo which the placebophiles at head-fi.org and such believe in.

Tech Mentor

The idea of burn in is to loosen the suspension, which can be somewhat stiff when first manufactured. From a practical standpoint, I really only see this being a potential issue with high-power, high excursion car audio subwoofers. I've never read a conclusive study on the matter though; it seems everyone has a different opinion about it.

I wouldn't bother with headphones. Regular use of the headphones will "burn them in."

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the response guys.

I was already leaning toward the 'not worth it' side do will definatelly skip the white noise now. As
    For sound quality... I was using audio technica quiet points before (only thing I had) and these seem much more bass driven. But can still clearly hear the highs and lows. Honestly, I needa use them more and then I'll let you know.

But hey... They look amazing. And I got the rouge ones =D

I've never heard any difference between new headphones and slightly used headphones.
    I wouldn't recommend Beats headphones either - they colour the sound far too much for monitoring purposes. Allright for just listening to music though, if you tend to find you turn the bass up on everything.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

I would have said that it's audiophile babble. But when I did the headphone group test, I read how people had different experiences between fresh and broken in cans, specially the AIAIAI TMA-1s.

I sat with my family, listening to different pairs, and the TMA-1s were decidedly muddy in sound - actually quite disappointing. But after a few days of playing with them all, we listened again, and the sound was noticeably better on the TMAs.

Obviously, this is backed up with zero science - just user experience. I would say that normal use will do the trick, rather than a specific breaking in regime.

DJWORX
    - The very best DJ gear news, reviews and opinion

Tech Mentor

If burning in of speaker or headphone drivers improved the sound, good manufacturers would do it at the factory. Only a few "audiophiles" know about this breaking-in period. If breaking in really helped, by doing it right at the factory you could thus increase the satisfaction of customers unaware of the need for break-in, possibly lower return rates, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast