DJing my first house party - What in the world should I set my stuff on? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Convert

House Party DJ Pro Tips:

1. DON'T use a laptop stand. Get a table that's just big enough for you to set your laptop on it and your mixtrack pro alongside it. Laptop stands put your laptop in a much less stable position (read: being held to the table by 2 skinny legs) than the laptop sitting by itself. Having your laptop high up and in such an unstable fashion is just begging for some drunk idiot to lose balance and bump your table, sending your laptop flying. This also uses up extra room on the table, giving partygoers less surface / justification to put their drinks on your table.

2. +1 on the Gaff tape for your cables. I've played enough house parties to know if there's a way for someone to trip over your cables and bring your setup crashing down, drunk people will make it happen.

3. Tip jar! DJing house parties isn't normally the highest-paying, if paid at all, gig for most of us. BUT! If you do a good job, you might as well get some cash for rocking everyone's faces off. Put a tip jar out and it's almost scientifically guaranteed that drunk people will throw some cash in there if they're having a good time. I've walked out of DJing a house party I did for no pay with 200 bucks before thanks to the tip jar, definitely worth it! (Tip Jar pro tip: having someone get on the mic and announce the presence of the tip jar, perhaps even passing it around the room can really get the cash flowing)

4. This sounds ghetto but if you need something cheap to raise your setup a little bit so you're not hunched over, I've typically found that textbooks / magazines are usually in abundance at pretty much every house I've played at.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Fressure View Post
    Ill go check out Walmart our something I just hope the table is tall enough that I'm not hunched over
    pick up some pvc pipe and use them as leg extenders...we used to do this at my old job, and it works out really well. also, GAFF TAPE GAFF TAPE GAFF TAPE. It's a little pricey, but worth every penny.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12