DJing my first house party - What in the world should I set my stuff on?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default DJing my first house party - What in the world should I set my stuff on?

I don't have much, all I have is my laptop(MBP 13 + laptop stand) and my Mixtrack Pro. I don't want anything too big and clunky taking up a lot of space. What should I use that is tall enough? (I'm only 5'10)

a table.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
    a table.
    +1, and make sure nobody puts drinks near your shit.
    Software: Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Ableton Live 9, Presonus Studio One 2
    Hardware: Traktor S4, Maschine, 2x Yorkville YSM5, Scarlett 2i2, V-Moda Crossfade LP2, Beyerdynamic DT990-250, MBP 13"
    soundcloud.com/agrelius

Tech Wizard

I would say a solid table, you can buy a cheap folding table from any store and they are decently solid. If you're using turntables, the weight becomes a problem but with a controller you should be fine. One recommendation, try to get a table that is close to the size you'll need. In this way, less room for people to leave their drinks on the table. Also remind people to not touch your stuff while you're away in the bathroom or taking a break.

Every party has a joker who will just walk up and try to mess around with your gear.
    Workflow
    Apple MBP 13", OSX 10.7 Lion, Traktor 2 LE, Audio 2 DJ

Quote Originally Posted by robscomputer View Post
    Also remind people to not touch your stuff while you're away in the bathroom or taking a break.

Every party has a joker who will just walk up and try to mess around with your gear.
    This. Except not just jokers, but anyone who is interested really. Or just drunk.

A few months ago i went outside to get a bit of air, then all of a sudden i hear this guy screaming into the microphone. I run in and its this drunk kid who has no clue what is going on, and we needed like 3 people to wrestle the microphone off him. Was an interesting night :P
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Quote Originally Posted by sparkbro View Post
    This. Except not just jokers, but anyone who is interested really. Or just drunk.

A few months ago i went outside to get a bit of air, then all of a sudden i hear this guy screaming into the microphone. I run in and its this drunk kid who has no clue what is going on, and we needed like 3 people to wrestle the microphone off him. Was an interesting night :P
    Lol
    Same to me, the launchpad and his 173992629 colors. Every people that came by asking, "what is that for? And that? Can I press this button? And this? It's all colored!! Can I press this?"
    And, they press them...
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

Quote Originally Posted by sparkbro View Post
    Hahah! My 2 cents is be a tool, (sometimes) - if they have a drink get it out of my sight, but if there's someone (preferably a cute chick) who is curious about what I'm doing, I'll invite them into the booth (read: table ) and let them watch/teach them some basics.

Oh, and buy a folding table bro!
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

*Like everyone Else, A Table, now im uring a mixtrack pro also, so I bought a small 4' table. Works perfect.
    * Speaker stands, If you don't have already.
    * Gaff Tape. Tape down you cables that run on the floor. Drunk ppl + messy cables = broken equipment.
    ( I'm big on clean cables.)
    A. It's safer to tape down ur cables.
    B. It looks Clean to a client/ Future Clients.
    C. If something goes wrong, Its easier to trace back the problem.

* Some form of lighting. Some may disagree that lighting isn't that important, but it helps the atmosphere for the crowd.

I can't think of much more at 7:30am

Oh, DON'T USE DUCT TAPE!!! leave cables sticky.

Tech Mentor

Ill go check out Walmart our something I just hope the table is tall enough that I'm not hunched over

When I DJ at private parties, which is usually a pub/bar that doesnt have a dedicated DJ area, I will source a table from the pub. I will then always ask for some bottle crates and I carry a plain, dark tablecloth with me, which Ill lay over the top and then put my gear on top of that.

That, or 2 tables on top of each other as long as they're the right height and sturdy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast