Does SSL have a phase meter?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Does SSL have a phase meter?

Quick question, as I cant be bothered searching through manuals or downloading SSL just to see.

Does SSL have a Traktor Style phase meter (or equivalent) which tells you how far in/out of sync your tracks are?

Cheers
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

If you just looked at the Serato screen at Google Images.. you could see that it uses huge waveforms and a smaller grid in the middle to match beats.

Using your analogy, I couldn't be bothered to explain this further.. But hey, just keep putting in that little extra effort to achieve things!
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Yes. And, it's based on detected transients, not beat grids, so once you get used to it (and combined with headphones), it's just as accurate with zero effort.

Thanks guys!

I'm suposed to be playing tonight, on a mate's SSL set-up. As I'm a Traktor fanboy, I have absolutly zero SSL experience, and a phase meter is a nice comfort blanket if things go wrong! (I've heard that the venue's acoustics make it hard to beatmatch)

Quote Originally Posted by Audeo View Post
    Using your analogy, I couldn't be bothered to explain this further.. But hey, just keep putting in that little extra effort to achieve things!
    Haha, thanks Audeo!

You'll have to do it by ear at first. I suggest practicing only in headphones for a bit…the S4 is perfectly capable of that.

The transient detection is a bit weird…it shows a lot of what's going on, so if the drum hits aren't perfectly clean (i.e., coinciding with bass notes or basically anything with a sharp attack) the transient looks wider than it should. But that just means you have to pay attention to what you're doing and learn how it shows things. It's not bad at all once you get used to it.

<Insert obvious claim about doing everything by ear here.>

But, it is possible to beat match SSL without headphones if you're used to the way it shows transients. And it's at least as accurate as vinyl is, so……whatever.

Also, you'll probably like one of the horizontal views better than the default if you're coming from traktor. There are butons to change it…I think in the top left hand corner. IDK, I just set the one I liked and never bothered changing. If it's distracting and you want to go back to doing everything by ear, there's a setting that only shows overview waveforms…kinda like the Micro view on Traktor.

Cheers Mostapha

I agree with you on doing it by ear, but I've been told the venue has some bad acoustics around the booth, and I'm mixing funk, not the usual house. If it was House, I'd have no problems, but the beats don't stand out as much in the funk I own.

Ahh well, I'll let you know how it goes - worst comes to worst I can always mix in the breakdown.

Thanks!

Good luck.

Also, learn how to mix in IEMs. Then, even if you don't prefer it, if you've got them with you, you don't have to worry about monitors/acoustics as much.

Thanks for your help guys, it's appreciated.

Gig went well, turns out I was playing on my mate's NS6 running Itch. Not what I expected, as I was trying to get used to Itch and the NS6 whilst playing a set!

Oh, weird. At least it went well.

Am I the only one that uses cue combined to hear both tracks through the cans? It makes relying on venue acoustics not an issue I've mixed like this for so long I can't even begin to tell ya how nice it is

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast