I survived my first gig!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default I survived my first gig!

I have completed my first gig. I have written a lengthy summary of my findings on my blog:
    http://ifnotwhynot.me/i-did-it-i-survived-my-first-gig

Some of you might have also noticed a flurry of questions posted on the forums, which I have all linked in the above mentioned blog post. I hope that this post will be helpful for other DJing n00bs. Feel free to reply with suggestions, questions and anything else here or on my blog.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Congrats on the gig Just out of curiosity, how did you get it?

Tech Guru

I play a lot of Ultimate Frisbee and every tournament features at least one party. When I posted about my interest in DJing in my blog and facebook organizers of Frisbee tournaments started approaching me if I am interested in DJing at their tournament. Note that this is non paid stuff and I know about 70% of the people personally. Still its DJing in front of a 100-200 people crowd that comes from all over Europe with totally varying degrees of interests. So its the perfect way to learn I think as the crowd is demanding in the selection of songs, yet forgiving for slight technical mistakes and most importantly they will give me feedback during the event and afterwards.

I will see if I take this further than this. DJing and still playing 6-7 Ultimate Frisbee games on a weekend is damn hard. A friend a this weekends tournament is working in a club where they usually have some live act and then a DJ starting 2am. I might try that once I feel my technical skills have advanced. Not getting paid much, but enough to pay for a months iTunes bill
    Last edited by lsmith; 05-04-2009 at 11:29 AM.
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Guru

here is the playlist:
    http://ifnotwhynot.me/track-list-force-lake-2009

kinda funny i ended up with exactly 100 tracks (*).
    the last 40 minutes i was constantly told my the organizers to mellow things down and "harassed" by the dancing crowd to put on some more power tracks, so things started going a bit back and forth (and there was an elvis fan in the dancing crowd)

(*) i must be missing a few tracks since I know I played Jailhouse Rock towards the end as well ..
    Last edited by lsmith; 05-04-2009 at 02:43 PM.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Anyone who plays the Beach Boys is alright with me

Anyone who play Elvis over the Beach Boys is more than alright with me! But wait? M.I.A. before Elvis, is this against the law? j/k Good setlist man.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

elvis over beach boys!? im impressed
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Tech Guru

heh .. would be cool if we all made it a habit to publish our playlists. the export in traktor is a bit wierd, but does work more or less. i wonder if this is what richie hawtin is basing is custom app of. some applescript that just exports to the desktop and that then parses the information.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I almost always put up my playlists (now that Traktor has stopped crashing)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I was going to try lastnite to post my tracklist on twitter song by song when I was playing...But I only posted 1. Too much booze.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast