Buying Speakers: Peavey PV Series?
    Tech Mentor

Default Buying Speakers: Peavey PV Series?

Hey guys, just wanted to throw it out there that I'm considering buying speakers for some partys during the summer (out door small area and house partys)

Was just wondering what you guys think of the Peavey PV215 Passive speakers?

Also was thinking of throwing in a Peavey PV118 sub for the low end for playing outdoors later on in the coming months, what would you make of them?

Here is the Link to the deal Thomann has on offer for these PV215s.

What do you think for starting out?

Hopefully I wont get a lecture from someone claiming I dont know what I am doing, just to let that someone know I have plenty of friends that can help me out technically in sound engineering plus I'm learning slowly about PA systems and the tech.

Just want DJs opinions on this deal.

Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to your replys

Tech Mentor

I used a pair of these for many a college gigs. They can take a beating and can get loud enough for up to 200 people. However, don't let the 2x15 format fool you. They produce very little bass for their size. They sound awful on their own indoors. The horn is not very good, and room reverberation makes it 10x worse. Outdoors, they actually sound OK if you EQ the bass a bit and don't crank them too loud.

You will need the EQ the highs as well - they drop off sharply after about 14khz.

They are solid speakers for their price and are 4 ohms so you can get more power to them. Give a solid 600 RMS if you can. However, if you plan on doing anything other than background music, you will be very disappointed in them if you don't use a subwoofer.
    Last edited by sss18734; 03-29-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Tech Mentor

Thanks for that info sss18734

Yea I heard they lack a bit in the low end, but with subs are a great sound.

Ill take yer advice until I get a set of subs.

Would I need a cross over for the 118s and 215s to work together to distribute the sound correctly ?

Anyone else have an opinion on the 118s or 215s ?

Tech Wizard

I have two PV115 and one PV118. I am very happy with these speakers and have done quite a few college parties on them as well. I use the PV23XO for my crossover and it works great. its just a simple crossover but it gets the job done. I would also suggest the sub. I originally just had the PV115's but then it made a huge difference when i bought the sub. I know a friend that has the PV215's and i havent heard any complaints from him.

Tech Mentor

Sounds good djtmoks thanks for the reply.

Yeah Its not a bad price for that PV 23 XO, will pick that up when getting my first sub.

Yeah the subs make all the difference, get that extra punch in : )

Anyone else care to throw in their two cents on these speakers ?

Tech Mentor

The PV series makes me yawn, even the PV118 puts out very little bass IMO.

Tech Mentor

I have heard that the 118s arent to a few people's liking in reviews and such, so I was thinking of spending a little extra and getting a Behringer B 1800 X Pro sub instead.

What in your opinion would be a good sub rotebass?

What setup you got?

Do you guys think that:
    http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-EURO...3218516&sr=1-1

Will be fine for <50 house parties. Just a small area in the kitchen I suppose where the music will be played.

Tech Mentor

I have access to everything from a pair of powered Behringer cabs on stands, to 3-way JBL SRX rigs with racks of Crown Macrotech amps, in monetary terms, rigs that cost under 1k to rigs that cost over 100k.

I cannot say enough bad things about the PV series, or Peavey in general. I've heard a pair of SRX 725s put out louder, cleaner bass than 4 PV118 with 2 PV215 on top. The current Behringer offerings are IMO one of the best bang for buck options, if money is not a factor then things change.

I don't really know the market in Ireland, so a lot of my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. Behringer is available in most markets, and is a solid contender, I'm really excited to torture test the new Pro series boxes.

In my area Yorkville is another popular option, but then again I live about 3 hours from their head office.

Have you considered used? Lots of great gear can be had for cheap, the downside is that it's usually quite a bit heavier than many modern production boxes.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LXJ View Post
    Do you guys think that:
    http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-EURO...3218516&sr=1-1

Will be fine for <50 house parties. Just a small area in the kitchen I suppose where the music will be played.
    I wouldn't count on it, a pair of B212D would get the job done. A pair of 812Neo would sound great, although your getting close to "name brand" price tags at that point.