Traktor Scratch Certified (What does it mean now)... - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I think if you paid for a copy of TSP2, you should have the option of using the cracked copy. You still own the license, you're just using an "enhanced" version.
    nope.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Not sure I would call a cracked version "enhanced"
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Well if it allows you to use other soundcards, that might be considered an "enhancement" - I'm stretching things a bit.

I'm not sure what the repercussions are of using a cracked copy if you have a license for the original program. I would imagine its similar to the fact that you can own a copy of a cd if you own the actual cd.

Would it be illegal to rewrite code to make the program do what you want...isn't this essentially the same as hacking a controller to make it function in a way that suits your needs?
    nope.

The devil will be in the detail. Of the EULA
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post

Would it be illegal to rewrite code to make the program do what you want...isn't this essentially the same as hacking a controller to make it function in a way that suits your needs?
    No it is definitely not illegal to rewrite code and modify or hack a program that you purchase- it breaks the End User License Agreement, but that is just breaking a contract and people break contracts all the time and breaking a contract is not illegal. It's the same reason jailbreaking iphones is not illegal.

End user License Agreements on software are illegal in some countries or of questionable validity in the first place as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    The devil will be in the detail. Of the EULA
    Not really, it doesn't matter what the EULA says it still wouldn't be illegal it would just be a breach of contract.

I mean... I don't see setting up an extra soundcard as that big of a deal. It'd be cool to be able to use whatever card (like the one in the DB4 say...) but at the same time, I'll trade a bit of flexibility for faster development, stability, and peace of mind when it comes to DJ software.

Tech Wizard

It looks like that with the new product shuffling that NI has done the only way you are going to be able to buy TSP now is if you buy an Audio 6 or Audio 10 with it. This would mean that anyone who runs TSP would always have a TSP certified interface to use for time code.

At least Numark managed to work with NI on the HID/Jog Wheels as this means there is still hope for manufacturers making hardware that is designed for traktor. If this were not the case then there would be not much point in manufacturers making hardware design for traktor as it would never have NI's full support and would end up a bit like the VCI 400 with bad jogwheel mapping.
    Last edited by Timmyboy; 04-04-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    it still wouldn't be illegal it would just be a breach of contract.
    I was mainly talking civil breaches, not criminal ones.
    However, in cases such as this one, acts such as the Digital Millenium Copyright Act in the US criminalise modifications to software that circumvent access controls, such as removing reliability on dongles. There doesn't have to be any actual copyright infringement (distribution) to commission the offence.
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 04-04-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    pretty sure this definitely is not true
    Hmmm, admittedly I haven't tried but I'm 99% sure it worked that way back in the days of T3 and I didn't think it had ever changed. I don't have any CD sources or other soundcards /w phono ins or I'd give it a shot to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx View Post
    I mean, I don't know if I need it or if I just want it for the sake of having it.

I've tried the demo on the db4 and I do like it and it's simplicity. But I can't try the timecode to see if I really like it. I know I don't need turntables/jogwheel, but I miss the vinyl feel. For those who have scratch ability, can you tell me; is it really great? As good as Serato? Maybe even better?
    I play FLAC's so I've never used Serato, but I don't find mixing /w vinyl timecode any different than regular vinyl. Someone I know has Serato (although he uses CDJ's now) and he said that was identical to regular vinyl as well (as I'd expect it to be). That said TSP is expensive to get it just for the sake of getting it. I have it because I've got 40 years of dance music on vinyl and even the stuff I'm playing now (tribe, mental acid) is mostly only available on vinyl so I largely play from vinyl rips, not all of which will grid. And I'm an old fart and learned how to mix 28 years ago when vinyl was all there was.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast