Effects. Serato built in or upgrade mixer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Effects. Serato built in or upgrade mixer?

So I've gotten to the point now, that sometimes I want to use FX. I'm using SSL, and while I love my mixer, it doesn't have any built in FX. I'm really wishing I was able to use some filters and a few other things to liven up some parts of my mixing.

Right now I'm working on transitioning, working on EQing, and getting better by ear alone (it's amazing seeing the progress from my first mix to now >.>). But subtle things, and sometimes I'd love to work in a filter or some tools on various spots. You guys know what I'm talking about.

I don't have a big budget whatsoever at this point in time, but have been thinking about selling/trading my mixer for one with FX... or possibly getting a controller to control the internal FX with Serato.

I use 2 1200's, and so not really looking to go for any additional decks. Really just not something I feel I need at this point. So having a mixer with more than 2 channels isn't... needed? It wouldn't hurt having my buddy be able to hook into at times, but we've gotten away using the aux in on my TTM-56 just fine.

My price range is looking at sub-$500 or so. If I had more, it'd be a different ball-game entirely.

The two mixers that have caught my eye are the

Behringer DDM-4000 (which I know people are quite familiar with here)

or the

Stanton M.207

You guys have any thoughts on any other recommendations I'd be happy to hear them as well.

Otherwise...

I was thinking about getting the VFX-1.

It seems to do exactly what I'm looking for. Controls FX on the decks, and while it's designed with ITCH in mind... it also works with Scratch Live so I've read in the SSL updates.

So I'm torn. I can upgrade to what may be an inferior mixer, but with FX. Or I can get an additional controller. (Also meaning I'm going to have to start using a powered USB hub).

What would you guys do in this kind of a situation? I'm not playing out yet, this is all just personal stuff, but hoping to get some early slots within the next year at some of the parties around. I mainly spin hardstyle lately, it's really my niche, so go from there as well.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Even though you use serato, have you looked at maybe using an X1? for internal FX!

if you get the ddm you will downgrade to an inferior mixer with inferior effects... but you don't need to worry as the ttm-56 has an effect send/return

so you can just get an external effect machine like pioneer efx1000/efx500/rmx1000, korg kaoss kp2/kp3/quad.

Or if you have the bridge you could use effects in ableton with any midi controller
    Last edited by synthet1c; 04-02-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    if you get the ddm you will downgrade to an inferior mixer with inferior effects... but you don't need to worry as the ttm-56 has an effect send/return

so you can just get an external effect machine like pioneer efx1000/efx500/rmx1000, korg kaoss kp2/kp3/quad.

Or if you have the bridge you could use effects in ableton with any midi controller
    That's a very solid point. I hadn't thought of the external FX units, and I really like some of those Korg products. I honestly really do like my mixer, so keeping it (until I can upgrade to something seriously fancy) is something I'd prefer to do.

Now I need to look into these a bit more

I have a kp2 and an efx1000, the korg sounds terrible and I'm not a huge fan of touch screens, the interface of the efx1000 is perfect, the sampling effects echo, pitch echo, delay sound great. the flanger sounds nice and phat, I never use the phazer, filter is good but doesn't offer a full cut which sucks a little. The best thing about the unit though is the "feedback loop" which is just a non degrading echo, it is really best suited to minimal and progressive though so would probably be wasted on hardstyle..

You would usually find these secondhand for around $300 on a good day. When I had it set up I pretty much never took my hand off it with minimal. But imo hardstyle is way overproduced these days and effects will just detract from the music if you call "gonk gonk gonk gonk" music, which I don't LOL .

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    I have a kp2 and an efx1000, the korg sounds terrible and I'm not a huge fan of touch screens, the interface of the efx1000 is perfect, the sampling effects echo, pitch echo, delay sound great. the flanger sounds nice and phat, I never use the phazer, filter is good but doesn't offer a full cut which sucks a little. The best thing about the unit though is the "feedback loop" which is just a non degrading echo, it is really best suited to minimal and progressive though so would probably be wasted on hardstyle..

You would usually find these secondhand for around $300 on a good day. When I had it set up I pretty much never took my hand off it with minimal. But imo hardstyle is way overproduced these days and effects will just detract from the music if you call "gonk gonk gonk gonk" music, which I don't LOL .
    lol. I really do appreciate the input. I was thinking about how a KP could be enjoyable, but then it's not really... easy to setup if I'm using a different mixer at some point in the future, and it's kind of an odd thing. The EFX line is much more in line with it. It also reflects more on the higher-end pioneer mixers, getting comfortable with those FX in particular.

And hat's off as well, because I can't stand listening to minimal or tech myself :P Just bores me to tears :P But I can appreciate it, I just like to go a little... harder if you will

Tech Guru

Get an X1 and use the SSL effects. I use SSL and most almost regularly play on a DJM-800/900. When I don't I always use my X1 and SSL effects. Nothing special HPF, LPF, Delay on one side. On the other I have in advanced mode roll out (fast) and echo out. I can use this combo all night and not really miss the DJM. I'd say the DJM effects are "wetter" but using the X1 and SSL effects is pretty damn good. I've only messed around with reverb and flanger on the SSL effects and both were pretty good as well.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

You know, I like the idea of the X1. But I don't think I'd be happy having something with labels that are all incorrect (on the buttons). It's not a bad idea though, and probably would do the job well. I have dicers at the moment though, and it would double-up on some of the features I use from them.

If they came out with one designed with SL in mind, rather than just an overlay with mislabeled buttons, I'd seriously think about it.

Call me vain in that manner, but I can already tell it would absolutely drive me nuts.

[rant]haha fair enough, I used to love hardstyle from about 2004 to 2008 when technoboy, zany and issac were kings.. but when jump took over there was never a good beat to rock to anymore and every track had the exact same song structure and pattern for the lead synth... that and I think the older you get the slower and funkier the music you listen to becomes. but I still love drum n bass! [/rant]

Oh and back on topic, the pioneer and the korg are set up the same way... send/return, so best to try them both out for yourself to see which one you prefer, but the pioneers sounds are fairly dated considering they all come off the djm600 there is just more parameters to play with. But when I got mine my thoughts were "if it's good enough for James Zabiela, it's good enough for me".. Also check out his tutorial vids on youtube for an idea of what the 1000 is capable of.

Maybe also look into the pioneer djm909, It's great for scratching, tonnes of effects and good for mixing as you can get your hands easily around the eq's

Last edited by synthet1c; 04-02-2012 at 10:18 PM.

The more and more I look at it, I like the idea of external FX, or FX built into the mixer. Maybe I'm an oddball, but eventually I think I may try to remove the computer from my setup and go with CDJ's. Not something I can afford to do at the moment, and will probably always have the 1200s. But that makes me think that doing something outside the software may be the best option for keeping things fluent in the future. (Just thinking ahead in the future a bit, for right now Serato with the tables is an excellent option. I just always see the computer itself as the weak point in the system. Can't trust em).

Has anyone dealt with the new RMX-1000? It looks... interesting to say the least. I know it's a bit out of my price range for the moment, but I'm probably not going to act on anything immediately. It does really look solid though.

I've heard decent things about the EFX-1000, though I've heard the EFX-500 isn't quite up to par. I may look into either though, but they are a tad dated at this point. But they would do what I'd want them to do.

Really not looking for anything out of this world, just the ability to use FX/Filters.

I honestly like the DJM-909 from what I've read about it, and seems like a solid upgrade path if I do decide on a better mixer. Really depends on the price if I could find one used though. But selling my mixer and getting a 909 might still end up being cheaper than getting an external FX unit... so it's very much an option on the table. Honestly been reading reviews about it and it's exactly what I'd want as an upgrade path, and I wouldn't be losing quality either.

Scratching is one of those things I DO plan on working on in the future, and I like having a "scratch" mixer if you will, with adjustable and smooth faders. I'm working on getting the basics down, but do want to add that in eventually. Done properly, and not overly, it can add a unique touch to a good set. And I see a LOT of the hardcore/hardstyle/breaks guys really getting into it over some funky business, and I like that style.

A lot to think about. Good thing I actually enjoy researching the shit out of things before I buy anything

... and I still love DnB too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast