Please Help Out A Beginner!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Please Help Out A Beginner!!!

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this forum and also new to the whole DJing scene. I've never ever DJ before in my life and I have no idea where to start. So bottom line is I'm clueless when it comes to DJ. But I'm not new to the whole music scene. I've been making music since I was in Highschool. I've taught myself how to make music using Fruityloops and such. I'm not saying that i'm good or anything but I do know my music and I know how to listen to beat...
    Anyway, recently I just got interest in DJing. So I've been doing research which lead me to this site. I just want to know for a beginner like me, what type of DJ equipments should I start out with? Vinal, CDJ, or Digital? I've done a lot of research on the gears and I think i'm more of a Digital person. I like to do everything on my Laptop. Also, where would be the best place for a beginner to learn how to DJ? I just want to learn how to mix music to play at my friends' parties. My type of music is House, trance, Hip-Hop. Thank You

in order to do any DJ'ing on your laptop, you're going to need some mixing software. there are a few good ones: Traktor, Itch, Virtual DJ just off the top of my head. once you have this, you could take a couple approaches to start out:

1: search google. there are TONS of pages out there giving good tutorials of basic mixing technique.

2: dive in. get your hands dirty and play around with your software. load a couple tracks and see what works. i think this will give you your own unique style. of course, i think you'd still need to read up on the whole philosophy on what mixing and DJ'ing is (basically blending the songs seamlessly)

hope this helps. i'm sure i left something out that someone else can elaborate on.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

to piggyback off hipnotikk, once you are getting into the grit of your software, don't stop experimenting (in the bedroom/studio); artists either progress and grow, or they stagnate and become forgotten.

Oh, and also look up articles on phrasing and basic music theory.

Tech Convert

thanks for the replies guys,
    Like I said, I did do research and yes I know being a digital DJ means you have to use certain DJ softwares. With my background in music production, I do know of Traktor for quite sometimes just never used it. I also heard of Virtual DJ but never tried it. So I guess I should try those softwares before getting any hardwares?
    Well either way, I still think that I need at least a controller don't I? These are what I'm interested right now: Vestax VCI-100, EKS XP5, XP10 or Otus, and Reloop Digital Jockey. Out of that list, I like Vestax VCI-100 and the EKS XP5, XP10 the most.
    If you guys have any suggestions on what Hardwares I should get or whether I should start out with something else please let me know thanks.

Arcade button modded VCI-100 + Traktor Pro ftw

Tech Convert

I do like the VCI-100 a lot now. I also like the EKS XP5 or XP10. I was thinking of getting a mixer and a pair of those deck controllers which looks more like a complete set of pro DJ.
    This question is for the people who have the VCI-100. I want to know other than the firmware and the color what else is the differences between the VCI-100 and the SE version. Also, if i were going to buy the VCI-100, can I still be able to upgrade it to eangolden fw 1.3?

Tech Mentor

find someone who can mentor you in the skill. i was incredibly blessed when my friend kevin told me that i could ask him any questions i had. he has been in the industry for about 10 years at that point and had already toured internationally playing NGR and hard house. having a mentor will help you develop good habits and drive you when you dont really want to do anything.

Its a tough one i have vci 100 wit traktor pro and vci 300 wit itch and for any learner the vci 300 rules...its so much more stable and very simple to use but very proffesional at the same time,also if your new to djing its great for learning the basics,order it unpack it plug it in and boosh your away mixing no need to upgrade firmware buy traktor buy a sound card download maps its so simple and awesome you certainly wont be disappointed.

But never discount the vci100 with traktor because its also awesome,just a bit more technical...hope this helps dude enjoy

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by djalexlaine View Post
    find someone who can mentor you in the skill. i was incredibly blessed when my friend kevin told me that i could ask him any questions i had. he has been in the industry for about 10 years at that point and had already toured internationally playing NGR and hard house. having a mentor will help you develop good habits and drive you when you dont really want to do anything.
    Well you're lucky then. I don't know anybody who is in the DJing business. I had to taught myself how to make music on my own without the help of anybody. I do agree with you that it would be better to have a mentor to help out. I learn easier when someone guide me and teach me personally. I hate to learn things on my own though. I don't enjoy doing it at all. I wish I knew someone out there that would help me.

Anyway, VCI-300 with Serato Itch is a great combo but i'm not into scratching. I don't plan on doing something like scratching or any of those style. I just want some simple as to mix songs to play at parties. I think that VCI-100 and Traktor Pro is a great combo for me.

But can someone please clarify what's differences between the VCI-100 and SE version other than color and the fw?

Quote Originally Posted by C-Sharp View Post
    I hate to learn things on my own though. I don't enjoy doing it at all. I wish I knew someone out there that would help me.
    This is totally off topic and may not even be my place to say, but I'm not all that smart about that stuff. You may want to look really hard as to why this is, because the quality of being able to try things and figure them out for yourself is (in my eyes) perhaps one of the most important thing an artist can possess. Otherwise you just end up doing what you're taught... maybe doing it really well, but nothing new under the sun, know what I mean? That being said, this is a really good place to find new ideas and the people here are eager to help people learn.

back on topic

I use an M-Audio Trigger Finger for gigs where I can't bring my whole turntable/mixer setup. It's simple, and I obviously can't scratch, but through some creative modifiers I've been able to squeeze a lot of functionality out of it. I'll try and post a .tsi here in the next couple of days. If you're really looking to just smoothly transition between songs, without a whole lot of quick beat jumps/loops, I think it's fine to start with just a mouse/trackpad and learn the software inside out. Once you get more performance oriented, though, I'd look into a controller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast