Styles of music encouraging certain mixing styles? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

It's to get stuck in a certain mindset for certain genre's. It's when people break those molds when it becomes creative and interesting, and unique.

Too much haterade up in this thread. Really guys, everyone has a style, some styles work better off the cuff for certain stuff. Something I like to think about is the mentality / mindset of the audience going for different shows. If you're playing a DnB show, you're probably going to have a very different crowd than a Electro/Dubstep show. And the mixing styles will reflect that. People getting into EDM are used to short rock songs, and have the attention span of a rabid shrew. As people become more cultured, they tend to start really enjoying the longer transitions more. But it takes time.

It's a reflection of what the audience wants. Or, it should be.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

"Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Tech Guru

I'm just gonna throw this out there, but as someone else stated, being well rounded musically in terms of genres is really what makes me say wow to a dj's performance.

I like to hear unique transitions that you don't think should work but they do....weather its a drop on a one or an intro looped for 16 bars, if I recognize two songs and they sound well together I am generally impressed.

Another note, I'm assuming that many of us can't play minimal for a 3 hour set at a local club, if you can then I am extremely jealous of your situation and the acceptance of your audience...so I feel like 'learning' mixing 'styles' for different genres is a great starting point. By styles I don't mean one technique of mixing or the equipment they mix on.

I believe my point answers the OPs question without answering how I mix or stereotyping a dj that plays a certain genre of music.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123