"The Draw"

Thread: "The Draw"

Default "The Draw"

alright so in organizing an event, i've run into a bit of an issue. the location is a bit outside of atlanta, and even further from my home town. however, it's an awesome deal we're getting for the place, and i really want to make this work. so the issue i'm facing is the "draw" to get people out there. a couple ideas we've had is making the event a foam party, but those things are so fcking expensive, even rentals are almost half a stack. another was getting a local live electronic performance to open up, but that's going to be a needle in a damn haystack. i'm banking on just hyping it up and promoting the hell out of it, but i'm still not sure if that's going to be enough.

any ideas? it'd be greatly appreciated.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Have you tried talking to the guys from MJQs or Fuck Yesss! ? I'm sure that a few of their artists would definitely help with the draw. Bring in an out of towner or two; airfare is dirt cheap right now- $249 round trip from LAX to ATL or $184 from JFK(nyc) to ATL (hotwire prices) Depending on the headliner you go for, you could probably bring someone out there for under a grand. Account for that in ticket sales and then promote the everliving shit out of it. How big is the event? How many rooms and what genres are the rooms? ATL has a decent edm scene so i'm sure with enough promotion, the event should be a success (given the numbers are good).
    Last edited by Damien1138; 05-06-2009 at 04:22 AM.

Tech Guru

Yea hit up fuck yess, I am not in town, but will give you a call later today, you can definitely get up on the stage and talk to these guys. Also if we can push this event well enough we could probably do it at mjq or drunken unicorn and not out of the perimeter. There is already an existing scene there and we could capitalize on people's prejudgment based on other parties there. Not sure how this would work with the DNB nature of the event.
    Last edited by mpetersen3; 05-06-2009 at 10:02 AM.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

kind of wanted to avoid the whole fuck yesss scene. i really dislike what they have going right now. i think if you're a producer, be a producer. i want quality DJs. i've tried talking to one of the guys who organizes MJQ, he's a prick. won't even respond to my emails/messages. another problem with even trying to do this at MJQ is they are usually 21+, and us being under this most likely excludes us from being able to DJ there.

the space i'm looking at right now isn't a club. it's basically just a warehouse/party space. there aren't multiple rooms, which i like because i don't think we should be dividing the EDM music scene. we're putting on different genres throughout the night however, with different DJ's covering each one.

moving this event to TDU may be a possibility. this would help with the location issue, and add to the draw because people would already know where it is. i just really, really want to avoid the whole fuck yesss scene, i loathe it. playing the SAME songs EVERY week with NO variation, the photographer even thinks he's a DJ now! sort of ranting but i mean, seriously.

Tech Guru

Yea I agree they are producers and are definitely not a djs dj, and yea most of the people in there are not into the music as much as just into partying. This is very true, most of those djs just cue->drop songs. Being there the way they controlled the energy was weak, they lacked proper breakdowns I felt and when the crowd started getting tired just drop in a fresh track, this led to people never really going apeshit. One thing they had going for them was an emcee who did a good job.

Man I started this post trying to get you to reconsider, but actually I talked myself out of it, you are completely right. Maybe some people there are there for the music.

I feel like god, but if there is one righteous person in that party then it is worth pimping to. If not, let them all stagnate and turn to salt. We should call it fuck no and do it at TDU, lol.

ps. give me a call when you get a minute
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    Yea I agree they are producers and are definitely not a djs dj, and yea most of the people in there are not into the music as much as just into partying.
    To expound on this, I think it is in every scene, and something that while I hope for a crowd of pure music lovers we are never going to get that 100%. What we will get is a group of people who are willing to have a good time, which is not so bad either.

I think a shepherd needs sheep before he can show them a path to follow. These sheep may be following the wrong shepherds.

Oh and to clarify I don't mean that I want followers (or worship), but these people may like what we have to offer, only they stay where they are at because they don't know it exists, I don't want to blindly lead people, only to say hey there is this other path you can take if you like this terrain.

Ok /endmetaphor.
    Last edited by mpetersen3; 05-06-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Tech Guru

I will spend some time today scratching my head and see if I can turn up some other ideas for venues in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3
    These sheep may be following the wrong shepherds.
    my thoughts exactly. i want to at least give smyrna a shot. if it's a bust, we learn from it and move on. but with enough hype around it, i think it could be good.

also, i forgot to mention regarding damien's post: money is tight. this is my first event and really don't have a bunch of money to throw on getting DJs to fly in.

oh and my phone is somewhere in roswell haha. i'll get in touch with you asap.