Writing down the order of songs before a show? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I tried it once, didn't like it at all. I figure out which track I want to start with sometime before the gig, everything else is done on the spot.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

i really have no plan of action except beating the brakes off the place im mixing at haha. probably why i dont do alot of live remixing but i do tend to work in things ive planned out in practice if that makes sense. but as they say, to each their own

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    I tried it once, didn't like it at all. I figure out which track I want to start with sometime before the gig, everything else is done on the spot.
    same here..

by the way: if you are on traktor, you dont have to write the order down. put the tracks in one playlist, right-click the header to make the "mix" colum visible, there you can write in the numbers and arrange how you like it
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Quote Originally Posted by JulianVeloso View Post
    I think it's ok to do this. big names do this all the time, take porter robinson as an example, he plays the same set almost in every show.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with doing this. It's not cheating if you choose to be doing the same thing as an iPod or make yourself that easily replaceable. Makes the chances for good DJ's to get your gig better!
    Last edited by sobi; 04-06-2012 at 11:03 AM.

I agree with shr3der, there is nothing wrong with being prepared, as long as you can also be prepared to give the crowd what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    I agree. There's nothing wrong with doing this. It's not cheating if you choose to be doing the same thing as an iPod or make yourself that easily replaceable. Makes the chances for good DJ's to get your gig better!

I like your thinking

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Neve said that, theres nothin wrong with preparing a set. And incase he comes an "ipod", put it on shuffle.

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    It's not the worst idea but you gotta be flexible.... reading a crowd is one of the most important skills a DJ can have and a preprepared set is going to struggle with that.

Big guys might play the same set all the time, but the crowd are there to see them, they know what there fans like. We're not at that level.
    +100000

Tech Mentor

While there is really no right answer to this question, I think there is really something to be said for DJ's who DO NOT do it, as I find their sets much more creative. I'd rather hear creativity with minor hiccups than washed out re-used setlist with perfect mixing.

Quote Originally Posted by rdubs View Post
    While there is really no right answer to this question, I think there is really something to be said for DJ's who DO NOT do it, as I find their sets much more creative. I'd rather hear creativity with minor hiccups than washed out re-used setlist with perfect mixing.
    Couldn't agree more, it's those moments that people really remember, when the DJ is just working it and is connected with the crowd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast