Writing down the order of songs before a show? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Mentor

I planned long sets when I was first starting out simply because I didn't have the experience and confidence necessary to make those quick decisions, read a crowd, and converse with people at the same time.

A very effective way to play middle ground here is to plan sets of 3-5 songs that work really well together. This gives you the fluidity and complexity of well-rehearsed transitions, but also gives you the ability to quickly change your set altogether if the crowd isn't feeling it.

my 2 cents.

If i have a 45 minute spot and an event and it needs to be rocked, like i mean keep 2,000 people jumping then yes. Sit down and have a set list then will show off your skills and make sure those people have a blast. I want everyone to say "damn, that was a good night the dj's killed it"

If i tag team with a few dj's for a few hours at a club that has a dance floor with people going on and off, I'll just make sure i have all my songs have the cue points set and ready to go. Nothing wrong with being prepared. Get a vibe go with it and keep the people happy.
    Beatslicing for the bitches

I don't think I'd even bother playing for 45min. That's just not an adequate time frame for playing out. Less than 2h is generally rubbish imo, and after that the longer the better.

Quote Originally Posted by ST.PE` View Post
    Get a vibe go with it and keep the people happy.
    I think it's way easier to get a vibe if you pick that up on the spot, rather than trying to predict it when preparing a strict playlist. As I said, surely didn't work for me.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by coupon View Post
    no biggie when youre just starting out. i used to do that but i usually end up playing the first 2 songs then going a totally different direction. be able to adapt to the crowd
    I'm just starting out and that's totally the approach I've taken

Then again I haven't done any gigs, towards the end of my mixes do get very sloppy

For me if I were to have a gig I'd wanna have a solid amount of prepartion done

However when practicing (which is all I do atm) I wanna try to be spontaneous as that's how I'll grow.

All depends on how comfortable and confident you are with your skills and if you're adaptable in case issues do happen which for me at my beginning stage I'm not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123