How many of you have an education, was it worth it? Are you working in your "field" - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Some good advice in here from both sides, I should have been more clear. As others have stated, yes there is value in degrees (engineering, sciences, medical) however for the other degrees, business, arts, sociology, what exactly are you learning there that couldn't be learned through your own learning? And I guess another huge issue I have is with the irrelevant electives that are required for a degree. I do enjoy the business classes when they have a good prof, but it's when I'm in classes that aren't tied to business that it gets frustrating, it's precious time and money wasted that I could be doing something that really adds to my value (djing, reading my own business books).

Tech Wizard

I have an Information Technology degree, an electronics 2 year cert., A videography 2 year cert,....and I work as a Professional Piercer, and also a Direct Care staff for adults with MRDD...so....nope...don't work in my field. lol

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Some good advice in here from both sides, I should have been more clear. As others have stated, yes there is value in degrees (engineering, sciences, medical) however for the other degrees, business, arts, sociology, what exactly are you learning there that couldn't be learned through your own learning? And I guess another huge issue I have is with the irrelevant electives that are required for a degree. I do enjoy the business classes when they have a good prof, but it's when I'm in classes that aren't tied to business that it gets frustrating, it's precious time and money wasted that I could be doing something that really adds to my value (djing, reading my own business books).
    At the end of the day you still need that diploma. You can't apply for a job in a business field and list on your resume "Read the following business books." That is laughable.

I do agree that we could do without some parts of college curriculum, mainly GEC courses. I took a lot of BS classes that met these requirements that I will never need.

Tech Guru

C.Lukas1, I'm probably coming off as very naive to most of the people in this thread, which is my own fault. I'm well aware of how the game is played, needing a degree just to get in the door, weeding out the people who can't stick with it. I guess I'm just frustrated at the game and that it rewards the "yes men" mentality. And obviously it would be ridiculous to put books that I've read on my resume, BUT I've taken away and applied more things from those books to how I approach promoting my dj life and businesses I've worked for then anything I've learned in university. So yes I get game and unfortunately it will be that way for a long time.

I have a dual degree in both finance and several foreign languages. Here in the U.S. it was extremely difficult to find a good job that would eventually let me climb the corporate ladder. I worked for numerous companies out of college but was so unhappy with them all. I had spoken with several of the large German firms I wanted to get in to and said that if I had an engineering degree I would have been hired before I even graduated. Quit my job and am now in engineering school. This is will be 3rd degree so it better pay off. It was a shot in the dark but I feel much happier just knowing how in demand engineers will always be. Plus with a business background and foreign languages I should be a sure shot. But only time will tell. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Just my .02 and life story lol
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Tech Mentor

C.Lukas1, I'm probably coming off as very naive to most of the people in this thread, which is my own fault. I'm well aware of how the game is played, needing a degree just to get in the door, weeding out the people who can't stick with it. I guess I'm just frustrated at the game and that it rewards the "yes men" mentality. And obviously it would be ridiculous to put books that I've read on my resume, BUT I've taken away and applied more things from those books to how I approach promoting my dj life and businesses I've worked for then anything I've learned in university. So yes I get game and unfortunately it will be that way for a long time.
    I would actually seriously consider hiring someone who had read books that I respected and valued over someone with a degree pertaining the same field. As long as it was not medicine or engineering.

My reasoning behind this is that I can validate the knowledge the person has, since presumably I would have read the books myself. Compared to a piece of paper from the university, which I could never validate the quality of the program they were in.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kaek View Post
    I would actually seriously consider hiring someone who had read books that I respected and valued over someone with a degree pertaining the same field. As long as it was not medicine or engineering.

My reasoning behind this is that I can validate the knowledge the person has, since presumably I would have read the books myself. Compared to a piece of paper from the university, which I could never validate the quality of the program they were in.
    Can't validate it? lol what? You research that university and program.

I left school at 15, started an apprenticeship as an Industrial electrician, was a fully qualified electrician by 19. Bumed around working and travelling for a few years. Then I went to see as an electrician, saw that in order to make real bank I woud have to retrain as a maritime engineering officer (ships engineer). I cut my salary in half for a period of 2 and a half years untill I was qualified. Once qualified my pay was back the same as it would be as an electrician. Im 28 now and have just spent another year at maritime college where I recieved full salary and living expenses, I now have my 2nd engineers open class unlimited certification, which means I never have to worry about a job I only work 5 moths a year and travel the world for free. My plan now is to work for the next 2 years (10 months actual work) then buy a house and land, once that is done im going to give the fulltime dj thing a real go, if that fails I acn just go back to sea at anytime.

All this and I have never set foot in a university nor have I ever paid to go to school rather I got payed to go. However, everything I have studied has had purpose and I use everything in my field today. There are other means and good jobs out there, you just got to find that lurk.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

I guess I'm just frustrated at the game and that it rewards the "yes men" mentality.
    has bugger all to do with being a "yes man"

And obviously it would be ridiculous to put books that I've read on my resume, BUT I've taken away and applied more things from those books to how I approach promoting my dj life and businesses I've worked for then anything I've learned in university. So yes I get game and unfortunately it will be that way for a long time.
    when i've interviewed people i've read and taken into account anything i found important on their resume. a degree is just one indication of what they may be like. previous experience, personal projects they've put together, papers they've published or patents applied for etc, anything they've had a hand in i'll grill them on if it's applicable.

if someone read some book, reckon they took away a lot from it and it expanded their knowledge somehow that is related to the position then ofc it *should* be on their resume.

i was only ever asked to help interview for certain specific positions and there's a good chance their resume didn't make it to my pile in the first place unless they had a good degree. tho can't be 100% sure on that.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by C.Lukas1 View Post
    Can't validate it? lol what? You research that university and program.
    Are you seriously telling me to research every university in the world on their programs? In my field and my country there is a lot of opportunity for skilled migrants to come here and work.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast