How many of you have an education, was it worth it? Are you working in your "field" - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kaek View Post
    Are you seriously telling me to research every university in the world on their programs? In my field and my country there is a lot of opportunity for skilled migrants to come here and work.
    No, I'm telling you to research the universities of the applicants you are considering.

Just curious, what country? What field?

Tech Convert

I'm quite enjoying education atm, i'm doing a General Media Degree and basically get to decide what specific topics i research for my papers, which is great cause i've actually learnt a lot about electronic music in the process. Being able to examine the roots of something I love has been very rewarding for me. As for what I do afterwards, I think the McDonalds down the street is hiring

I talked to someone with a B.A the other day; i said " Yes, i will have fries with that"
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by jester.nz View Post
    i talked to someone with a b.a the other day; i said " yes, i will have fries with that"
    lol!
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Just enrolled myself back to school as an open distance learning student to continue my studies. after 7 years working in the industry i still think that i'm not marketable enough to jump ship & looking for other opportunities elsewhere...due to the nature of being in operations department. you only good at what you do everyday, your own plant, seldom think outside of the box...can't afford being 'critical & creative' since it involves yield/output (the job is only suitable for maintenance department when there's a plant upset)...it's getting too repetitive making my brain rusty.

This time, i think i enjoyed school/uni alot...there is so much to learn & really feeling fresh meeting new people outside from the working cycle (i work in a remote offshore installation so have to endure the same face, same attitude people everyday for 2 weeks..it's getting tiring). i once who lack of these so-called soft skills, now trying hard to improve it..who know it can land me a job elsewhere, or at least score me an event or two...

Yes I have a Ba(Hons) Interactive Art.

Graduated in 1996.

My personal tutor for a while was Brian Eno.

So I would say yes it was worth it...

I am a full time student. I think that I manage my time well and will continue (without terms off) for another six to eight years - I'm interested in an MBA/PhD.

Quote Originally Posted by tommi bass View Post
    yes i have a ba(hons) interactive art.

Graduated in 1996.

My personal tutor for a while was brian eno.

So i would say yes it was worth it...
    nice!!!
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

8 years for school? Am i reading that wrong? so assuming that you are 1 year in....that means 9 years for a PhD? Wish I could have your bank account or inheritance. Anyways, I just graduated with a mechanical engineering degree, im working in my field, I may have a master's paid for by my school so I will only have to take out loans for rent and food,e or pick up more gigs and I will probably be able to survive off that.

It was worth it but I have always had the vision of working in a position that offers high amounts of responsibility. Almost all companies nowadays require atleast a Bachelor's to give you a big role in their company...if you have the opportunity go to school out of high school then go for it, it will be alot easier that way.

Tech Mentor

This should be kind of obvious... Definitely get an education. I have a M.Sc. (Econ), I'm working in my field, and it pays for a lot of expensive hobbies. getting an education doesn't mean you can't keep doing whatever it is you do, but it will get you a good plan b if going full time with production/DJing/singing/writing poems or whatever your art, doesn't happen.

Edit: of course I realise that in the US this is a financial question as well. No prob here with the free education, we have it easier...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast