Cheap headphones that get the job done?!?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Cheap headphones that get the job done?!?!

Just started Djing a few months ago and recently purchased an S2, so cash is pretty tight. Any suggestions on headphones that get the job done? Under 60 if possible!

1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

sony mdr-v6 can be bought for under $70 and are awesome and great in the studio too

http://www.nothingbutsoftware.com/ca...105290&ai=1550

how do they manage to sell stuff for that cheap? I was skeptical

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Cake View Post
    how do they manage to sell stuff for that cheap? I was skeptical
    Who sony ?

Those Cans have been in production for the past 20 years, I'm sure they've made their money back on the design a million times over seeing as virtually every TV/Radio station and studio has at least a few pairs knocking around.

The price seems to have gone up though in the past 3 months. Most reputable places seem to be selling them for around $80 now. Be careful and buy from a reputable dealer as there are fake V6's out there.

Oh and they are AWESOME headphones that sound fantastic, loud, flat and will last forever.

The Reloops mentioned above are NOT DJ or Production orientated headphones, hence the iPhone control talk connector - IF you buy something like them, expect to replace them pretty soon.
    Last edited by deevey; 04-05-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    sony mdr-v6 can be bought for under $70 and are awesome and great in the studio too
    The Sony MDR-7506's are also great headphones for about the same $$$.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    The Sony MDR-7506's are also great headphones for about the same $$$.
    Same headphones ... Twice the price with a gold connector and different warranty

Tech Mentor

Sennheiser HD 205's can be had for $50 pretty regularly. I can't imagine you could do much better for under $60. I used them for a while DJ'ing in college.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Same headphones ... Twice the price with a gold connector and different warranty
    Close enough to the same for what I'm about to say to be a "nit." Tho...I can find the 7506 and V6 for the same $$$ online.

I started with V6's. I switched to 7506 after my first pair of V6's died in a gig bag after about 8 years of use. Across a very small number of units, I found that the 7506 was noticeably louder than the V6 with the same headphone settings on my mixer. I did only test two V6 units and four 7506 units. The rated sensitivity is the same...but the 7506 uses a neodymium magnet. I also find that the high frequency response of the 7506 to be flatter than the V6 which had a slight boost. This is a totally moot point now, as I can no longer hear ANYTHING above 15kHz.

I use 7506's for all music editing, and at gigs. They are compact, and can live a LONG life inside a gig bag.

For listening at the office during my "day job" I use the V600's. These headphones have a larger earcup and more padding. That makes a BIG difference over a full day at work. Also, the V600's have a slight "smiley face" response...and I prefer that for listening at low to moderate volume levels. These have lived a long life sitting on my desk...but are plastic and larger than the 7506...I do not think they would do as well in a gig bag.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Close enough to the same for what I'm about to say to be a "nit." Tho...I can find the 7506 and V6 for the same $$$ online.
    Haha, "nit" and where I've been looking and even the v6's seem to have shot up since sony brought out their new range (which don't fecking fold!!!!!) :P ... some the newer V6's come with the same neodymium magnet though apparently

+1 on the Senn's as well... they do survive a bashing and even their $25 cans sound better than most skullcandy crap.

You could also look at the Superlux 661's if you want to think different. They are apparently in the same legue as the 7506/V6 (some say better) http://www.head-fi.org/t/577979/revi...x-did-it-again
    Last edited by deevey; 04-06-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast