Setup advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setup advice

Quote Originally Posted by QUANCE View Post
    Lethal - obviously I don't know much about it so I would probably fit into the category of those guys that set up at small bars or house parties and basically link other people's remixes together and fling the color adjustment every once in a while, but that's not the goal.
    What does this even mean?

If you're looking for the closest experience to CDJ's without using CDs it's going to cost you. Pioneer CDJ's have Native HID support with Serato, but those aren't cheap, and we haven't talked about a mixer yet.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

It means that alot of "djs" now a days just play a remix. And then when it's about to end they (shakily at best) transition in another remix. And then turn the "color knob" every once in a while to make it seem like they are doing something.

I dunno if that is your experience but I just got out of college and house party djs don't do much more than what I just described.

#2 - I'm not exactly looking for the closest thing to CDJs, I just want to be able to have a lot of control over the sounds and things - I looked at a few videos of the kontrol s2 and s4 and they should be more than enough.

Now all I gotta figure out is the cables/speakers/amp whatever situation.

Thanks for the continued input

I follow. Unfortunately that seems to be a lot of DJs in general

Keep doing your homework. There's a TON. Literally a ton of gear available especially now that is beginner friendly, inexpensive, yet still feature rich.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Tech Wizard

color knob???

there's a big choice of stuff right now but here's a few i'd say are worth at least taking a look at:

* midi fighter (that u already mentioned) - cheap but a classic, can *always* be used as an addon to any other controller, pro model ads some faders and more buttons but a bit meh imho, the classic really is a classic
    * midi fighter 3d - not out yet - but looking very cool
    * novation launchpad, 9x9 (almost) grid of backlit pad goodness, u can do just about anything with one or two of these
    * mixtrack pro - cheap but a lot of people like it, quite solid
    * a&h k2 - cheap, solid 4 channel controller, plenty of buttons too
    * native instruments x1, cheap
    * native instruments f1, going to be fairly cheap, not out yet
    * novation twitch - medium price, touch strips
    * vextax vci100 - medium price 2nd hand, a bit old in the tooth but very solid with some decent features
    * native instruments s2 - medium price (or was when they had their offer on), hid jogs, well built
    * native instruments s4 - 4 deck version of s2 basically, more expensive
    * vextax vci400 - expensive but very versatile, good solid build
    * the new modular behringer controllers coming out soon (going to be very cheap but maybe good)

first thing to think about is whether u want decent jogs or not, or any at all...\

edit: not to forget the dnsc2000 for a pretty decent cdj type midi controller. the behringer pl-1 might well do the same job as that
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Byrd2593 View Post
    color knob???
    eq
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Byrd2593 View Post
    color knob???
    It's on the DJM 800/850/900 etc

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    It's on the DJM 800/850/900 etc
    my bad, didn't realise the djm's *actually* had "colour knob" looks like a kind of wet/dry for simple eq/fx. never played out at a club so never had my grubby mits on a pio mixer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12